Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katxena

What have you fed your worms today?

Katxena
14 years ago

Over in the "soil, compost & mulch" forum, they have a thread called "What have you fed your compost today?" I always like reading it.

I thought it would be really interesting to do something similar for vermicomposting. So, tell us: what have YOU fed YOUR worms today?

Make it really concrete, and limit it to the last feeding you did, whether it was today or in the past. Come back later to tell us about future feedings and read all the responses!

Comments (45)

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll go first. Today I fed my worms the following:

A section of newspaper (a whole, unopened section, soaked in water)
    tea leaves
    egg shells
    carrot peels
    Brussels sprouts parings
    rotten green beans from the fridge (oops)
    coffee filters used to drain yogurt
    fingernail clippings
    a handful of spent potting soil
    a couple of handfuls of shredded newspaper on top

• thch91
    14 years ago

A bag of salad lettuce that i left in the fridge too long, cofee and filter, egg shells, shredded newspaper and covered with cardboard.

• kathmcd7
    14 years ago

I think learning what others feed their worms is always so interesting. My inside worm bins got banana, cucumber, apples, lettuce, pumpkin, coffee grinds, and peas. First it's frozen for 3 days and then sits in the sun (covered) to rot awhile. The outside worms got carrots, cucumbers, celery, lettuce, banana skins, leaves, and coffee filters. I cover the food for both with shredded newspaper.

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

I also put my pre-rot container in the sun. I add new kitchen scraps whenever my counter scrap bowl gets full and feed the worms the slimiest pre-rotted stuff. Stuff that's usually been there a week or longer and is sometimes hard to recognize. What I saw today was banana, apple, persimmon, carrots, cucumbers - all peels soft & gooey. Coffee, tea bags, torn egg cartons, leaves, some kind of small plum?. There was probably bits of moldy bread, but it was no longer recognizable. I covered everything with autumn leaves, which I've been stocking up on this past week.

• sambo725
    14 years ago

I just got my worms yesterday, they are moving kind of slow. They have a nice bed made of shredded newspaper and cardboard. In half of the tub I put, UCG and filters, lots of banana skins, corn skin, apple core, bell pepper, and some lettuce. Then I covered with a good layer of leaves and put about two cups of garden soil on top. I put all of the materials in the tube two weeks before the 1000 little wigglers got here and watered down. Well, it was suppose to be 1000 but looked more like 500 or less. Hopefully they will have lots of worm sex and have some babies.

Sam

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

cabbage
    potato peels
    onion peels
    over the hill applesauce

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today, I fed my worms the following:

Some frozen greens from the garden -- they are past their prime and won't recover
    Some rose buds -- my stupid rose bush keeps budding, even though it is winter
    Tea leaves
    Tea bags
    The round hard bit at the end of a date (several of these)
    Dried leaves from outside
    Shredded rope from the base of my cat scratching post
    Old frozen blueberries that no longer have any flavor
    Soaked cardboard on top
    Broccoli stems

• forestelves
    14 years ago

So no feeds there worms stale bread

List of recent ingredients:
    Stale bread
    Citrus rind and pulp
    Freezer burned meat - ThatÂs in the outside bin
    Onion waste
    Tea/Tea bags
    Coffee/Coffee Bags
    Potatoes peel
    Apple cores
    Vacuum dust and stuff
    Celery base and leaves
    Some dead Spider plants
    Banana Peels
    Anything expired food in the Fridge/Freezer

List of last ingredients:
    Vegetable and fruit waste
    Newspaper
    Dog and cat hair
    Old soil
    Sand
    Egg Shells  Unwashed (Inside and Outside)
    Meat/Seafood/Fats - Goes in outside bin

• permajamie
    14 years ago

shredded office paper I took from the office
    and
    yerba mate tea

I try not to feed them too much because the bin always has uneated food in it!

• permajamie
    14 years ago

eaten* I mean :)

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

I feed my worms stale bread. I let it dry first, the grind it up. I have had problems with heating when I put too much in at once. I didn't have any to feed the worms last time I fed them.

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today my worms got left over oatmeal, leaves from a greenery display at my church, and the end part of a banana that I didn't feel like finishing.

• gardencitizen
    14 years ago

Lettuce, kidney beans & olives that were left in the fridge too long and some cucumber skins.

• cp-arclight
    14 years ago

My worms' nom-noms consist of layers of the following:

Coffee grounds
    Shredded coffee filter
    Shredded empty Sweet & Low packets
    Finely chopped banana peel

Mixed in with this is the occasional:
    Beard trimmings
    Spinach leaves
    Chopped up dead leaves
    A little dog fur

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last night's feeding:

Chopped decorative pumpkins and gourds that were rotting
    apple core
    1/2 date (I dropped it on the floor, darn it!)
    carrot peels
    Brussels sprout parings
    Broccoli stem
    Sweet potato peels
    Tea leaves
    Tea bags
    Coffee filters (used to drain yogurt)
    Overripe banana (the fruit, not the peel)

• stevesd
    14 years ago

Hey, I, too think this thread is interesting. All you people are robbing our precious landfills of so much stuff. My worms got:
    a cucumber that got too cold
    potato trimmings
    onion trimmings
    ucg's both my own and starbucks
    old bread ends
    a small amount of cooked rice
    and some torn up corrugated cardboard
    Happy worming to you all steve

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

Good idea they do this every mouth over on the compost forum.
    My diet is high in fresh fruits and vegetables so..
    potato peals
    onion skins
    celery trims
    carrot trims/peals
    avocado pit/skins
    UCG/filters
    nanna peals
    apple cores
    orange peals
    pear cores
    dried bread heel
    Now that's one week feeding from 2 gallon kitchen pail. MY worms are not keeping up I have 5 square foot of established bins. The porch they are in may be getting too cool.

Curt :-)

• baorganics
    14 years ago

i fed them with cardboards, newspapers, some water melon (rotten) and some egg shells.

Got a tips from a worm farmer in Malaysia that it help the worms to grow.

No harm trying! :D

Here is a link that might be useful: my website - not perfect, but i did it myself

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

baorganics, are you aware that linking to a commercial web site violates this forum's terms of service, and can get you banned from the forum?

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today my worms got:

Spent tea leaves
    Used tea bags
    Carrot peels
    Green bean trimmings
    A bit of cereal I spilled on the floor
    Some stale catfood
    Sisal that has shed of the cat scratching post (includes some claws)
    One used coffee filter (used to drain yogurt)
    A couple of handfuls of shredded paper
    A sprinkle of whole wheat flour that has turned

This will be the last time I feed my worms until after the holidays. I'm going out of town, and they have plenty to chew on while I'm gone.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

potato peels
    onion peels
    cabbage core
    zucchini stems
    banana peels
    grapes
    a past pull date power bar

All ground up in a hand-cranked meat grinder.

• forestelves
    14 years ago

Thanks to Bdadawg IÂm going to buy an old food processor to shred the worm feed, because I have a resale store near me so IÂll look there for a food processor and a microwave to sterilize my soil for growing plant inside the house so I can stop buying soil and just cook it.

Mold banana bread
    Apple core
    Kleenexs
    toilet paper rolls
    Dog hair
    Onion waste
    Coffee/Coffee Bags
    Some dead Spider plants
    Potatoes peels

• marauder01
    14 years ago

6 worm bins got about 3 lbs of kitchen scraps including:
    -silverbeet stems (picked too many, lol)
    -6 green apples (turns out kids dont like 'em, go figure!)
    -90% of 3 lettuces (turns out wife doesn't like the sour core, which , apparently starts about 10 leaves in!)
    -peelings from BBQ prep (onions, potatoes, prawns etc)
    ......and about 2 lbs of shredded local news rag which the paper boy insists in not "junk mail".

All in all,
    worms :1
    kids :1
    wife :1
    me :0

.....but the worms are REALLY happy LOL

Merry Christams to all ( and next week for the worms mmmmm leftovers!)!

• jake_2009
    14 years ago

I fed mine:
    1/2 wheelbarrow of composted alpaca manure
    1/2 wheelbarrow uncomposted alpaca manure
    1/2 wheelbarrow partially composted leaves.

Has anyone had any success feeding their wigglers wool from alpacas, llamas, or sheep? I have about 10 garbage sacks full that I'd like to get rid of - this is the trimmings off of alpaca lags that have no commercial value.

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is anyone else feeding their worms this week? Or are people giving the worms a break for the holidays? :)

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

No holidays for the worms...they eat 365 days/yr. I doubt they consider it work that they need a break from. :-) I feed my squirm 2-3 times/week. Today they're getting papaya peel in addition to the usual mush. I'll have pumpkin & maybe watermelon for them Christmas day.

Andrew

• gwtamara
    14 years ago

bump

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

Potato peels
    onion peels
    banana peel
    over the hill apple
    past pull date power bar
    old apple sauce

Bedding topped off with shredded office paper mixed with shredded cardboard

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

well big day today had over fed worms :-( and had to mix in fresh leaf bedding then;
    Peelings from two potatoes.
    0ne banana peel
    Grounds and filters from three pots of great coffee.
    One extra paper egg carton, damped and wrung.
    The trimmed root end of a celery.

• shesoldier
    14 years ago

yay it's clementine "season" at the new york supermarkets!

- clementine peels
    - yam peels
    - coffee grounds from the press
    - tea leaves
    - strawberry tops.

it's looking great in there. used my worming fork today to pull over a bunch of the finished stuff on the bottom to one side, for the passive separation that depends on the worms migrating to the other side. i've been carrying the bin up and down three flights of stairs because i live in an apartment and like to feed outside. gotta harvest so i don't break my back carrying it! :)

• marauder01
    14 years ago

Awesome shesoldier! Way to go!

My wife looks at me strange when I talk worms, but here's a person who takes them for a walk!

Way Cool!

Keep up the good work, and I'm sure they (squirm) enjoy the special attention.

Cheers

• forestelves
    14 years ago

I bought a blender 5 days before Christmas and man I can't live with out it now, because the worms just feed on the paste in two days instead of weeks on large materials.

Mix paste contains

Dry bread
    Banana peel
    Egg shells
    Onion and onion skin
    Celery bottom and leafs
    Carrot skins

• fam62cc
    14 years ago

I don't pre-rot and I don't bother to chop very fine. Let the little blighters work for their chow, after all, I give them a good home. If I spoil them to much they will be wanting to join me at the cocktail hour.

I have scaled back on the citrus peels. The worms don't seem to care for them a lot.

Dave Nelson

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Let's try to keep this thread focused on what we fed our worms. It's really interesting!

Today I fed my worms the following stuff.

2 yogurt containers of mixed kitchen scraps. These contained:
    * asparagus trimmings
    * used tea leaves, a couple tea bags
    * carrot peels
    * green beans

I also fed them a bit of "worm mix" (various spoiled grains, mixed together) and stems pruned from my outdoor artichoke plant.

Finally, I added shredded paper and soaked cardboard on top.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

potato peels
    UCG from an espresso shop
    rotton apple
    onion peels
    old trail mix
    old candy bar
    old power bar
    cabbage core

All of that run through a hand-cranked meat grinder.

Topped off the bedding with a mixture of shredded office paper, newspaper, cardboard and egg carton.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

today is a harvest and re-bed day for one of my bins so new bedding of shredded corrugated cardboard with a bit of shredded newspaper, damp of course.
    UCG and filters from three pots morning coffee.
    One old slice bread.
    Two bananas chopped up, they were very old ugh.
    Potato peels.
    And of course some of the left over food from the bin harvest.

forestelves; Do you add liquid to mix worm food in your blender? Is it a small one or is it a food processor? Thank you.

• melenkolee
    14 years ago

I got brave and buried an entire moldy mango and avocado that I found in the back of the fridge. This is 5 days after 3 cups of mixed fuits and veggies in one corner (mostly gone) and 2 cups of slimy spring mix in another (also mostly gone). I think I'm actually trying to overdo it just so I can figure out where the limit is lol!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

a restaurant cardboard coaster, dry

before that nothing for the 10 previous days

before that a big pumpkin, whole, hollowed out by squirels

tomorrow my kitchen scrap tub

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

Here's what I fed 2 days ago. Left is my 5 gal. pre-rot bin. Right is ~2 qts. of mushiest stuff for the worms that day. I know pre-rotting is disgusting, but the worms gobble up that mush a lot faster than "fresh" kitchen scraps. Once the mush is covered with top bedding in the worm bin, the smell is not noticeable. A day or so later there's no smell even if you stick your nose in the worm bin. YMMV.
    {{gwi:1343232}}

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

katxena; You appointed your self go for it.

Curt;-)

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:) Please keep this thread focused on lists of what you fed your bin. Start a new thread to discuss specific feeding techniques and post pictures. Many of us are finding it really useful and interesting to read the lists. Thanks!!

I started a new thread for January -- please keep the party going over here:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg0108442019268.html

• gmw1
    14 years ago

remember I only have about 70+ worms!
    two weeks ago~ pre-rotted Thanksgiving kitchen waste:
    carrot ends,
    green onion ends
    leek ends
    bread ends (whole wheat and white, no herbal, but a bit of corn bread, mixed in)
    sweet potato ends
    few peas
    1 tbsp coffee grounds
    1 tbsp milled oats, uncooked
    spple peelings and cores
    (these were the leftover bits I had had processed from Thanksgiving. This went into the almost 3/4 cup of processed waste I put into the bin, except for the coffee grounds, which went into a different corner. I wanted to see how fast these were consumed. Not as fast as I had hoped, there was still a coffee smell when I put in this week's food, so left coffee grounds out for this week.)
    Eggshells, not crushed up.

this week
    2 moldy plums,
    1 banana peel

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

gmw1,

As I started with only a tiny amount of worms myself I am rooting for you and your worms. In a year or so your worms will increase and along with me you too can be rooting for someone else and their tiny bit of worms!

• Katxena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please post in the new thread for January 2010!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: What did you feed your worms today? January 2010

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

Just as the clock was tolling towards midnight I added popcorn balls circa 2006 to the bin and danced nakedly and wontonly around my worm vermicomposting bin following the ages old prescribed ritual handed down generation to generation. I start to dole out my cultures manna to the gods, the worm gods, the worm breeding secret of the gods. But wait, Ye Gads! The powers that be say I MUST post this ancient secret elsewhere. Not HERE.