Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinchilepepper

Worm bin in Austin

austinchilepepper
15 years ago

Hi y'all! My name is Richard, I live in Austin, Texas, and I'm new here. I want to grow chile peppers and herbs.

I made my own worm bin from two nesting 5-gallon plastic buckets - I drilled tiny holes in the inner bucket and the lid, which rests loosely on top. I save the paper towels every time I wash my hands at work for bedding - I let them dry first, run them through the shredder, soak them in hot water and drain them. My worms get mostly used coffee grounds. I got my worms from Petsmart - I started with one $3 cup of 'Red Wigglers', and they have thrived and multiplied since. These worms are red and pretty small, I might post some pics soon to see if anyone here can identify what they really are - they're not very wiggly for worms called 'Wigglers'.

I compost using a 55-gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck garbage bin that I drilled tiny holes into. Most of my kitchen waste and coffee grounds goes into that. Occasionally I get sawdust from my brother-in-law's garage wood shop to throw in there also. I get big bags of used coffee grounds free from Starbucks to throw into my composter also.

I built a raised bed for my garden out of 2x12s after I discovered that my yard only had 4-6 inches of topsoil over solid limestone bedrock. I don't think there are any earthworms in my yard - the only worms I've seen after a hard rain were thin and very black, really creepy looking. This last summer was not very good for the garden - record highs, many days over 100F, very little rain. And 4-6inches of topsoil over rock probably doesn't hold much water.

So I have some questions:

- which worms would do best in my backyard garden bed?

- is there any advantage to getting European nightcrawlers for my yard? or my worm bin?

- does anybody know of a source in Austin for European nightcrawlers or African nightcrawlers, or anything which would thrive in my shallow lawn/garden?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• dsfoxx
    15 years ago

Peppers? We should talk. -G-
    Worms. Right.

By all means, post a photoÂI couldnÂt identify a worm species by sight if my life depended on it, but there are lots of folks here who can. (Me, I mostly lurk. But IÂm an Austinite, so your post title caught my eye.)

If you have L. rubellus, they might do fairly well in a raised bed if given copious amounts of organic matter; they tend to be more soil-dwelling than EF, though still less so than earthworms. If you have EF, theyÂre much better off in a bin than a garden, raised or otherwise. EF are very poor colonizers in our area; no fear theyÂll out-compete natives, but they donÂt do heat, and though soil temps are cooler than air in summer, in Austin... Some folks do a modified bin-in-bed; check out http://www.compostguy.com/worm-composting/the-sandbox-self-fertilizing-garden/ for a decent example. But if next summerÂs like this one, you may end up with baked bin-worms in your bed.

For that matter, European nightcrawlers (E. hortensis) wonÂt do too well here, either; the heatÂs an issue.

[quote]
    "Earthworms species from northern latitudes (e.g., European lumbricids and some Asian megascolecids) are poor colonizers in tropical or subtropical climates (except in localized temperate situations), and vice versa. For example, despite continued and widespread introduction throughout the United States, Eisenia fetida, the lumbricid 'manure worm' commonly used in vermicomposting, is not often found in natural habitats in the southern United States."
    [end quote]

per Hendrix and Bohlen (Hendrix, P. F. and P. J. Bohlen. 2002. Exotic Earthworm Invasions in North America: Ecological and Policy Implications. BioScience V. 52, no. 9, pp. 801-811)

Of course, some European nightcrawlers have reportedly adapted quite well to Australia, so "poor" is a judgment call. Anyway, thereÂs no point around here; L. terrestris is well established, more likely to thrive, and cheaper locally.

African Nightcrawlers (Eudrilus eugeniae) might well thrive, but itÂs better to go with native or at least naturalized species where possible. Too, L. terrestris is less vulnerable to our periodic freezes. Like last nightÂs. Both the African and Asian nightcrawlers are highly susceptible to cold.

Unfortunately, winter means slow season for earthworm retailers no matter the breed, but come spring, you can find L. terrestris for sale at bait shops, every natural garden center in town, and even the farmerÂs market. Organically raised and everything.

Hope some of that tides you over until the experts find your post!

DSF

big garden dreams, small garden spaces, and no room for a compost bin. But I have buckets!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bokashislope

• austinchilepepper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi DSF,

Thanks for the informative follow-up! I really appreciate it. I'll be happy to talk peppers with you, I have seeds from over 20 varieties.

I grew a very productive chile pepper garden in planter boxes on a 20th floor high-rise balcony near Miami years ago. I didn't take the time to water my garden last summer, and needless to say I didn't get much out of it.

I won't waste my time and money trying to colonize my yard with foreign worms - you're right, they'll probably either bake or freeze. I might take pics of my worms tonight, but it'll be with a low-res camera, hopefully it'll be clear enough to permit identification. I'll have my good camera back next week.

After doing more research, I'm afraid the creepy black worms I saw may have been land planarians (eww!), but I haven't seen them in about a year.

I'm relatively new to Austin, which natural garden centers do you like? Where's the farmer's market? Thanks again!

• dsfoxx
    15 years ago

Peppers! If you've successfully grown more than a few peppers in pots then I need to pick your brain (though probably not in this forum). If you were looking locally, you could probably still find some chiltepequins on the plants; our native chile peppers are small but potent.

Farmer's Markets on Sat at Republic Square Park (4th and Guadalupe), Wed at the Triangle (46th between Guad. and Lamar), details here [http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/M6376].

Which garden center I like best depends on the season, but Barton Springs Nursery acquired much of my fall budget this year.

Happy verming,

DSF

http://bokashislope.blogspot.com
    buckets of bokashi, buckets of fun

• austinchilepepper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi DSF,

Thanks again!

I would've emailed you. but didn't have the option once I got home.

Anyway, I had a pretty awesome garden using Hyponex Miracle Gro potting mix in planter boxes that were 2'x1'x1'. I had to water every day. They got plenty of light, and being 20 floors up I didn't have to worry about garden pests.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz