Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerilynnc

European Nightcrawler SMACKDOWN! Kazarie vs. Red Worm Composting

JerilynnC
11 years ago

I just got my orders of EH from 2 different sources. 1 lb from Kazarie Worm Farm (Dan Warco) http://kazarie.com/ and 1 lb from RedWormComposting (Bentley Christie) http://www.redwormcomposting.com/

Origin:
Kazarie Trenton, FL (just west of Gainsville, FL)
RWC San Jose, CA (Near San Fran)

I started by weighing the amount of worms with the bedding they came in.
Kazarie 640.7 grams (1lb 6.6 oz)
RWC 694.6 grams (1lb 8.5 oz)

It seemed that the RWC worms had more bedding, so that could account for the difference. Or maybe the one was dried out more than the other. In any event 53.1 grams either way is probably not significant.

Worm Biomass:
Just eyeballing, about the same. I should have rinsed them off and weighed only the worms, but I didn't want to pester them too much after their multi-day trip.

Worm Health:
Both were in great shape.

Price (including shipping)
Kazarie $34.95
RWC $40.00

Worm Size:
Both were obviously bigger than the EF I currently have. Couldn't see much difference between the 2 companies.
RWC worms are the first photo, Kazarie, the 2nd. [in the next post]

Bottom Line: Either company would be wonderful to do business with.
Enjoy! :)

This post was edited by JerilynnC on Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 14:59

Comments (7)

• JerilynnC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Couldn't figure out how to add two photos to the same post. Oh well, here's the pic of the worms from Kazarie.

This post was edited by JerilynnC on Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 15:00

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Jerilyn,

They look good:) Only way to have more than one photo in a post is to host the pictures externally. If you use the built in picture host you are limited to one picture.

• firecat
    11 years ago

RWC is in Canada. That addy is from his US supplier. Bentley is a great guy and will try to help anyone with any worm issues.

• JerilynnC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

""RWC is in Canada.""

I know, but I didn't hold that against them. ;)

• Shaul
    11 years ago

I see you're already increasing their value. Looks like they're really chowing-down on those coins. :-)
    I've heard of 'Coin' snakes, but...
    or do they only eat U.S. Currency?

Shaul

• JerilynnC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had to bribe them to pose for the photo. ;)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

I could be wrong but I am guessing JerilynnC did her research before sending money to a worm provider. Did you perchance select the top two your research showed should work well in your area?

My guess is your criteria were states name of product in Latin. States pounds of worms only without bedding. May also state amount of bedding added. Bedding helps the worms ship well.

Had JerilynnC not done her research we may have heard results such as it took a while for the worms to be put into the mail. There was a lot of bedding but not a lot of worms. E-mails and telephone calls were sent to ask about these two issues but nobody answered. The worms had a lot of "friends". Bits of creatures one did not know about are in a natural system but the purchasers system is indoors.

Possibly the two places JerilynnC placed head to head both measure out their weight in worms for the poundage purchased and then add back in bedding to protect the worms during shipping.

Also worms can loose a percentage of weight during shipment.

If I purchased worms I would always weight just the worms so I would know. Once they are free in your system it is difficult to call roll call.

Thank you JerilynnC for doing this test and reporting to the board. Your research is valuable since there is no other way to find this stuff out. No doubt you could have gained more worms for yourself by not dividing your purchase by two and paying two shipping costs. So you sort of took one for the team. If you need to purchase a large quantity of worms in the future you know either worm provider can meet the need.