Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbryce_gw

Fun Find

sbryce_gw
14 years ago

I was out dumpster diving today for a box to mail a few things to my daughter. I found four food service sized cans of fruit, way past its pull date. Worms can't read pull dates, right?

Comments (6)

• mendopete
    14 years ago

Right!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

Sometimes the pull by date is just a best before date. The only worry would be botchulism and if the cans are not dented or bulging that would be unlikely. I would say that after washing the outside of the cans they are good enough not just for your worms but for me! Worms and chickens are great ways to not have old food go to waste. I would even add the juice. Should be no need to blenderize as it will all moush soon. Add lots of cardboard to soak up the sugar rich yummy juice. Since they are already in a can you can add one can a week or month or whenever you are short of food. I would not add right before vacation. I might even start a brand new bin with dry bedding and toss in a can. Then go through an old bin or two and the large hunks of unfinished compost can be added to the new bin. When the worms are ready they can find gold. If it was summer and you had chickens to feed or a pond of fish to feed I would say dump a can on top of a 5 gallon pail of coffee grounds and try to capture some Black Soilder Fly Larve. The BSFL feed the chickens and fish and their leavings are fed to the worms. Another way I would use the canned fruit would be if I had 5 gallon pails of harvest vermicastings around waiting for the baby worms to be big enough to harvest. I'd go through it to get out any worms that have grown, and then put some fruit and juice in the middle and more castings on top to prevent fruit flys. This would compost or be eaten fast enough that by spring the babies could be harvested and the compost used for planting seeds. If it is a can of pineapple that might be a different story.

• marauder01
    14 years ago

Wow equinox! Sounds like you'd use those cans for just about anything! lol. Some great ideas though. I like the using it to attract the babies out of the finishing bins. Nice.

"Dumpster Diving"? LMAO. Now that'd be a great topic for a post. "What's the best thing you ever dumpster dived?" LOL. I can sympathise though. Wife and I go past the local home store and look at all the flat pack furnature. She looks at the furnature, all I see are cardboard boxes and think "bedding".

She can't she the funny side of it either! lol.

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

great find. if anyone finds a bamboo fly rod that's past it's "pull date" please let me know. one thing about getting into worm composting ... it get's funny the things people throw away.

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are right, Rom. There have been times when I have found perfectly good horse manure just laying on the ground.

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

those horses just don't know what they have. if you could train one to poop right into a container that would be a back saver.