Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm Identification

Posted by flooperer BC (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 17:49

Hi, I got my worms from nearby manure pile and I'm not sure which type they are. They are doing well, I've had them for about two months and they are really starting to multiply now, lots of new worms and capsules too. I just wonder which species they are, is there an easy way to tell by looking at them, or by region? I found them in a great big manure pile in Vancouver BC.
Thanks, Matt.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm Identification

Matt, from all you've said, it sounds to me like you have British Columbian manure worms which, as I understand it, were brought into Canada unintentionally in the 60's in VW vans by One-A flower children immigrating from the US to avoid the Vietnam draft. The worms and cocoons were unknowingly secreted in the pot plants the kids brought with them (if you know what I mean).

I've heard those worms only thrive in fertile soil suitable for growing weed. What kind of farm were you at when you first found them digging in that manure pile?

Chuckiebtoo

o

Hi, thanks for the reply. The worms came from a large pile of horse manure, several local stables compost their manure there.
The worms look like pictures of red wigglers I've seen online and are doing well in my bins, I think/hope they are either E. foetida or R. lumbricus, I wondered if there was a way to tell just for interest.

Matt

o

Oh Matt, I was just half-joking. Without pics or a cadaver, it's kinda hard to determine. But they ARE manure red worms, usually called red wigglers. Sounds like they're doing real well, too.

I have access to composted horse manure and use it extensively. My EF love me for it.

Chuckiebtoo

o

• Posted by SQH1 z7 NC (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 17, 05 at 20:44

flooperer.. welcome to this forum..and chuckiebtoo's humor. I visit here often and enjoy the experience and humor shared..:) Your worms do sound like they are happy. ID-ing worms, from all I have heard, is not an easy thing to do, but it sounds like they are manure worms and perhaps redworms.

o

If you really want to know have a look at the link below for an online Taxonomic Key

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Watch - Taxonomic Key

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here