Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momovtwo_gw

First delivery of worms. I'm thinking this isn't normal :(

momovtwo
13 years ago

I ordered on Saturday, received a message that worms were sent on Monday and today they arrived. I immediately became concerned from the smell of the box. Here I thought there wouldn't really be a smell (other than earthy, wormy smells) if all is well. I don't think all is well though. The bag STINKS to the point of making my 8 year old literally gag and almost throw up in the sink. I opened the bag and there is a stringy stinky gooie mess at the top of the bag. I don't think I could even tempt a perch with this glob. I cut open the bottom of the bag and found 27 live worms in the dry bedding. I ordered a lb of worms. I emptied those into my 3 week old bin that is layered with nice moist partially composted cardboard (spent the summer as padding under the pool) and finished homemade compost. I hope these few make it, but I just wanted to make sure this wasn't normal before I email my problems. Complete newbie and I don't want to seem like an idiot, LOL. Here is what I found, sorry it's not very clear in the first picture. The second picture is the stringy, stinky mess that I put in one of my garden beds and watered to rinse then covered with compost 'in case' there are any survivors.

Comments (7)

• chervena_chuska
    13 years ago

Oh, how awful. Those are dying and dead worms, definitely. They smell awful and are gooey. Healthy worms don't smell bad. I would call and inform the seller that it appears the worms died en route. They should not be gooey like that. I've seen worms die like that when they are overfed and the bin doesn't have enough oxygen. Can't say that's what caused it, but those poor worms you got are are in a bad way.

• momovtwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response chervena, I've emailed the seller my problems. Fingers are crossed they get it corrected quickly. Sad day for my wormies and to think....the kids had already started naming them before they arrived, LOL.
    I've put the bin with the survivors to bed, will check on their progress next weekend and if I still have life then I'll start feeding them :)

• patrick1969
    13 years ago

Slowly. Only 27 worms will be overfed in no time if you aren't careful. You might even leave them alone until the cardboard is gone, but that's very very hard to do.

• plumiebear
    13 years ago

Patrick, I hope you get a refund or a new batch of worms. Bummer for the kids. Keep us posted on how this gets resolved. Here are some links you might want to check out. The Mini worm bin is especially good for the kids. Just keep it in a box or bag so it's not exposed to light most of the time. I suggest getting a red LED flashlight or headlamp so you can look at the worms without hurting them with white light.

Worms purchased from online sellers: unpacking videos
    Mini Worm Bin
    Worm suppliers

Cheers,
    Andrew

• jonas302
    13 years ago

Most sellers are pretty good hopefully it all works out if not post there name on here. Mail is probly a little slow due to the upcoming holidays and did it get unusually cold or hot on there trip freezing would definatly be bad

• momovtwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm happy to report that a replacement batch arrived today. Sadly they spent a week in transit, likely due to the holidays, but other than a few dried worms they were all very happy to be home!! Placed them in my bin and within half an hour they have all migrated down.
    Since the first 27 are still alive and kicking and I would say the bin is in great condition for these new worms... I'll officially call myself a vermicomposter :) Gosh, I hope I didn't just jinx myself, lol.
    On another note.... my father in law gave us an old smoker, one of the tall ones like an Old Smokey. I'm thinking of converting it into a flow through project after the first of the year. Already has a grate and lid, so I'm thinking why not.....
    Thoughts anyone? My main concern is rust, but I could line it with pond lining or a tarp like I've seen some do. It's metal, so definitely no direct sun if I should keep it outside. Plenty of time to play around with the idea :)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

Smoker? Like there would be less beef jerkey in the world? That can't be good.

You may find covers are not necessary nor used by (any, some, a few) experienced vermicomposters. The solid sides will not be allowing in air. I do not know how far air penetraits into vermocompost. Maybe somebody does. The grate may be tricking you. I'm not convinced vermicompost actually sinks down to the grate. Also I am not convinced vermocompost actually falls through a grate. Certainly not with out assistance.

I would hate for the world to have less beef jerkey.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets