Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About Worm Tea

Posted by hummersteve 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 20:32

Of those people that have used this , does it work. Is it really worth the effort. If so do you have proof it works or just hear say. Im thinking about trying it . Ive read a lot about it but have doubts. Does it work for you? If it does what is a good mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About Worm Tea

I have used it and believe that it works. Dont have any real proof so you will just have to take my word for it. I mix a cup or so in a 5 gal bucket of water with 1 oz of unsulphured molasses. Use an areator over night and use on your plants. Inside or outside. I have heard you can filter and use as a foliar spray as well. Try it I dont think you will be disappointed.

o
Worm Tea vs Leachate

I read up on the science of the Tea/Leachate question.
My take is that making the tea is not worth the extra effort.
Controlled tests at the UW on roses did not demonstrate conclusive results. So: adding stuff & aerating and figuring
how to use it is a lot of work for a questionable result.
However, there are anecdotal stories of good results.
Maybe it's like nutrients for humans: too many variables.

The other issue is how safe is leachate ? Some posters here don't even acknowlege the question.

Nor do some of the posters here seem to acknowlege that the worms shouldn't live in their own waste for too long. Based on my reviewing, 6 months seems to be a limit. That is, at some point, the worms need a Fresh start even if we aren't ready to use the castings, or even if there is still bedding in it.

I'm back to the forum to report good results if I can find a topic where it will fit. How we name our posts matters: the post "Sweet Spot" could be aptly titled "horse manure". There's a humorous version of that from, is it, Mash ? Col Potter "Horse Pucky ?"

o
RE: About Worm Tea

"The other issue is how safe is leachate ? Some posters here don't even acknowledge the question."

The general consensus on this board is that leachate is to be avoided and is a sign of a bin not having enough bedding among other issues. (Save one poster who successfully uses a unique water harvesting method.)

I would venture every poster on the board has at one time another posted on the topic of excess moisture in the bin.

It has been noted many times and is commonly known that some bin sellers confuse leachate with worm tea. They are two very different things.

Leachate nobody wants. Worm tea, if given a fresh bottle, most of us would spray anything that does not move and run after anything that does to spray it. The real debate is molasses or no molasses. One study said it could increase e coli.

Leachate is somewhere between safe and toxic. It varies by what it was dripping from.

"Nor do some of the posters here seem to acknowledge that the worms shouldn't live in their own waste for too long."

I equinoxequinox do NOT acknowledge that worms shouldn't live in their own waste for too long.

Every particle of the superficial layer of the earth has passed through the intestines of a worm, said my friend Charlie.

Worms themselves also agree by frequently voting not to move into new bedding with food offerings and instead can often be found in the "tastiest" areas of an old bin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here