Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulips101_gw

want to buy

tulips101
11 years ago

Hello i would like to buy more red wigglers but are really confused who to buy from there prices are all over the place could anyone point me in a good direction to buy some i would likec 2 pounds or 2000 which ever is best deal.I have some now but im impationt and i know you people are honest i hope you can help me if not i understand thank you.

Comments (8)

• organicpanik
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I bought mine from amazon.com. from a seller that goes by "Uncle Jim"

• mendopete
    11 years ago

UJ's has had inconsistent ratings. Where are you located? Try to find a local supplier if possible.

• organicpanik
    11 years ago

I'm located in California and I have had no problems with them. They are located in the east coast and I ordered in the winter and received mine very healthy and started working as soon as I put them in my bin. I've ordered from them 2 times already.

• tulips101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have done buesseness there thats why im asking about another place.Ilive in northern il. and there are no dealers here that i can find.Thank you for telling me im not the only onei dont know if we can say places to buy on this forum or not but i was a little unhappy with my order of worms from ujw any help would help thank you.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Worms Etc. sells happy healthy worms. Steer clear of Uncle.

• Lisa.H
    11 years ago

Hello. I bought mine from Triple G Worm Farm because they are pretty close to me in Kentucky. I haven't ever ordered from anywhere else so I don't have any way to compare, but I've ordered from Triple G twice now and the worms were shipped quickly, were healthy, and do a great job. I've also gotten quick responses from the owners the few times I've emailed for advice, and I really appreciate that kind of service. I would recommend them. They sell 1 pound for $23.50 or 2 pounds for $39.00 and free shipping. It is www.triplegwormfarm.com.

This post was edited by Lisa.H on Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 19:51

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

"could anyone point me in a good direction to buy some"

A good bet would be at a local farmers market. You are not paying for the worms but for the detailed, informative, one one one learning experience from the person who raised these specific worms in this specific location.

Even better would be from a friend who is a hobbiest. Their personal experience and one on one questioning answering even after the sale is valuable. If the worms look bad bring them a sample and they can diagnose.

Failing either of those two very best options would be to find somebody with in a few hours driving time in a direction you are already going for some other reason.

Fourth would be purchasing from a nearby producer to minimize the time in the mail.

The major requirements would be is the seller using a Latin name or some made up sales or common name? You want to know what you are purchasing. The best way is for the seller to use proper terminology and that would be the Latin name.

Second you would want to know if the weight the worms are sold in includes or does not include bedding. The seller should state this right after saying the weight that is being sold. This fact should not have to be searched for in the small print.

A pound of worms should look in volume with no bedding to look like a pound of hamburger or a regular to small size grapefruit.

Bed run has adults, babies, eggs, bedding, possibly egg shells, egg carton, apple cores, banana peels,... do they define what bed run means to their company. Bed run may be fine or not.

Google the company name. It is not hard. Go to Google.com and in the blank space type in the company name.

Do you have an outdoor compost pile or access to an animal dung pile? If so you have exactly the same thing people want to sell to you for big $$$ but for free. Lots and lots of worms, for free. If the worms are in poop or in an outdoor compost pile they are most likely the exact same thing as for sale on the slickest on line advertisement. But for free. !!!!! Pay a child to collect some. In 10 minutes they can have $30 and you can have worms, worms, worms, no shipping fee required and you can have them right now.

Plus everybody's first worms die. How much do you want to spend on worms that will die?

As a last resort, if I had to, like if I was going into outer-space and setting up a space station, I would purchase worms from Bentley at RedWormComposting.com . The company is in Canada. So living in America I would receive shipment from not him but from one of his associates in the USA.

Mind you purchasing online would be like the ninth method I would use. And I bet Bentley would also agree. You are not purchasing worms but you are purchasing access to who ya gonna call in case the worms call in sick one day. You want to develope a relationship where you can go back to the farmers market and ask questions and learn.

This is the major aspect the worm factory etc. are at a big loss for. They take vermicomposter's money and then set them adrift with little to no proper instruction, in a big sea of vermi tea that is actually not tea at all.

• merrygardener
    11 years ago

I have given away many pounds of worms on Craigslist, by responding to "wanted" ads for such or by offering them. All transactions have been positive!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County