Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grower54

skinny worms

grower54
14 years ago

I seem to be finding 20 or 30 worms a day that have gone through the screen in the bottom of my bin. They just hang out between the screen and the vermicompost in the bin. The screen is the plastic type replacement screen for windows. Any suggestions.I am getting tired of rescuing them every morning. Bin is 72 degrees with pretty good composting action going on, and no smell. I don't think they are running from conditions. Also not too wet or too much food. Thanks Steve

Comments (11)

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

Worms wander. There really isn't anything you can do about it.

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

i have a stacking system and always see them in between layers when i lift up the different trays. also get some wanderers in the bottom every now and then. you can try rescuing them all the time, rescuing them less often or just leaving them be.

i put 3 layers of corrugated cardboard in the bottom of the lowest tray. it keeps them out of the liquid collection bin for a while but the cardboard eventually gets saturated, eaten and then i again have a few worms in the bottom every now and then. by that time (i check the bottom about once or twice a week) i rarely have more than half dozen down there to scoop up.

• gwtamara
    14 years ago

bump

• grower54
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tamara whats a bump?

• marauder01
    14 years ago

If I may, A bump is often used on a forum to "bump" a thread back up to the top of the listings, so people can see it and kick-start conversation on the thread. It is a legitimate tool for use on forum.

However, normally a more considerate person would have posted a constructive reply, rather than just a one word waste of time. Thread still goes to the top but now contains a better reason to post than just "bump".

eg. 10 threads called to the top with one word answers "bump" is both rude and obnoxious. If you think the thread deserves more consideration, post your reasons why, and start the discussion again.

'narf said

Cheers

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

Click on Tamara's "my page" and you get this:

"IÂm the GardenWeb Community Manager. If you wish to contact me directly, please click on the Âsend me an email link."

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

I've read that some people use bedding under the screening of the bottom tray in a Worm Factory to allow the worms that wander down to be able to climb back through easily. It also absorbs the moisture. I would use egg crate if you can find some.

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

I been toying with the idea of filling the collection bin area of my worm factory with gravel/sand and then a fine mesh or screen. The tray above this one should directly contact this screen and gravel/sand. Compost worms can't or don't burrow through gravel/sand and should be able to make their way back into the tray above. Because of the contact between the gravel/sand you likely shouldn't get a lot of finished compost down here either. I'm thinking a coarse aquarium gravel will be loose enough to allow the free flow of leachate while at the same time be hard enough to prevent worms from getting through.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

Fish fanciers who feed worms often find months later missed worms living in the aquarium gravel. On the other hand maybe it is better than wine and music. If you have heard of aquaponics, some, or at least one person is doing worm ponics. Instead of fish they are using worms which live in gravel and the water is cycled into plants that have roots bathed in the same water.

I thought what stops worms from falling out of the bottom of a flow through is that the air rises and dries out the bottom of the bin so all the worms crawl up. The fate of any worm eggs and how to not loose the little ones is of interest here.

Seperate topic: The bump from the "Community Manager" was probably done to pop the present day posts out from under the oblivian of the dinosaur day posts. A comment from the "Community Manager" stating that would of been a mark of an experienced moderator. Failing that, maybe she indeed did more than we all know, since the issue seems to of self corrected. I am glad a ban was not needed. I do not think intent of the overwhelming posts was evil, just good heartedness that drowned us.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

On the other hand, 20 or 30 worms are self harvesting? Could you teach mine how to do that?

• grower54
    Original Author
    14 years ago

equinox. Since you mention it I am harvesting all of these naughty worms and adding them to another bin on a daily basis. The new bin has 3 layers of shopping bags as a base. On another note I have yet to see any leachate in the bottom bin yet in 3 months. In fact I am using a string of christmas lights to bottom heat both bins and have no worries about moisture. The lids on both bins are always dripping wet yet no leachate. Should I worry?(Yes I am using a gfci outlet) Thanks for the info on bump.