Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forestelves

Who thinks there need to be a Black Soldier Fly/PHOENIXworm form?

forestelves
14 years ago

I think there needs to be a form for the BLACK SOLDIER FLY/PHOENIX WORM because I have found 108+ forms (searching bsfl, bsf, and Black Soldier Fly on Soil/Vemicomposter forms) concurring the creatures that will eat human/animal poop and compost. There is obviously a lot of talk about these creatures just as there are red worms/ compost problems.

So who thinks we need a BLACK SOLDIER FLY/PHOENIX WORM (animal feed name for the worms) form?

Plus, I'm thinking of buying a BioPod (A Larva Farm) from http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/the_biopod/ to, or maybe make a make-shift home (like my worm bin) for them to live in to dump my dogs and cats waste to be eaten buy them instead of throwing it out into a land fill. That way I'm kind of GREEN/Organic in some since of what GREEN/Organic is suppose to mean in this era. Not truly GREEN/Organic because I get on the computer, I drive a truck, use electricity from a power plant, electrical appliances, and use gas power tools. But luckily I don't smoke and release CO2 into the atmosphere, so point for me.

So who thinks we need a BLACK SOLDIER FLY/PHOENIX WORM (animal feed name for the worms) form?

There probably should be a form for (Maggots) the grubs that eat the dead squirrels, moles, and rabbits one dog brings to the door as a gift of fertilizer to there owner, and the dead rabbits, birds, mice, rats, and fish ones cats bring home as a gift of fertilizer. But IÂm not going to fight that war for a form for MAGGOTS only fight for BLACK SOLDIER FLY form. Also just a GRUB form incase more people bring up more idea for larvae forms; mealworm, wax worm, Trevo Worms/Butter worm, and Superworms.

Comments (13)

• tobytub
    14 years ago

That isn't a bad suggestion - I like the idea of setting up the biopod for getting rid of animal faeces - most other ways of doing this leave me uncomfortable. I have read that the BSF is already on trial for sewage processing in some areas - so it must work, but is anyone doing this at present for doggie doo and does it give any problems? The worm dictionary says that Black soldier fly exudes an odour to keep away blowflies and other nasties. This might be true for vegetable scraps and kitchen waste, but I'd be worried that the overpowering "scent" of concentrated fresh doggie doo would overpower this and still be just too irresistable to all these disease spreading "blue tailed" flies. Any first hand experience out there?

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Dictionary

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

blacksoldierflyblog.com and biopod.com have forums on their sites. Both forums are fairly quiet right now, but will probably get active again as the weather warms up. I'm not sure how many of the posts here were from people who went on to cultivate BSFL for composting purposes. That said, I would definitely join a gardenweb BSFL forum. Go grubs!

Andrew

• forestelves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's nice to hear that some people like the idea. People on the Soil form hate the idea.

Thank You,
    plumiebear and tobytub

• tobytub
    14 years ago

What is Soil form?

• forestelves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Soil, Compost and Mulch forum

• saaak
    14 years ago

Bump

• tutubear
    14 years ago

I use a Vermi/BSF system in my urban/apartment setting. I love all composting styles, but the BSF's are great at taking care of large volumes of waste quickly, in a small contained setting. (I use half wine barrels for bins) I'm new to this forum, but I love the Black Soldier Fly.

• saaak
    14 years ago

Why is there no Micro-Organism Forum? So do I post all my Micro-Organism Forum here or on the Soil, Compost & Mulch Forum?

• dbm2009
    14 years ago

Saaak, I'm new here but It seems if you post something about micro-oranisms in either forum it'll work. Both forums seem to be appropriate.

• saaak
    14 years ago

Thanks

• lesellers
    12 years ago

So, what was the outcome?

I haven't seen a BSF forum, so I have to assume it didn't take.

• boreal_wormer
    12 years ago

Not here but the Black Soldier Fly Blog does have a forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/forum/

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago

"So, what was the outcome?" It is hard enough to get a large enough group of people posting frequently enough to have a lively worm forum. It is a bit more difficult to get a large enough group of people posting frequently enought to have a lively BSFL, ok, maggot, forum. The two or so very nice forums that already are on line eek out almost enough posts to keep the forums alive. They even generously include BSFL/Worm mixed composting. I like choice. So if the two fail to satisfy then a third on gardenweb would be great. Forums go through ups and downs. When one for any number of reasons looses posters, the posters vote with their feet. My kitchen waste only generates maybe two tablespoons full a week of purient waste unsuitable for a worm bin. If I had rabbits and fish to process then after using up every last bit from them the tiny unuseable bit I would BSFL compost. Except I am still afraid of my worms. I would have to work my way up to the really cool BSFL. I lurk at BSFL forums with lust in my heart. The sites are looking nice and shiny with tons of information. I would need some chickens to feed the harvest to.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?