Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charitycomposter

Bags to sell vermicompost

charitycomposter
9 years ago

I've searched this forum and didn't see this question before. I'd like to sell my vermicompost at farmers markets this spring and possibly on-line. I was wondering what containers you'd recommend using. I was thinking about using some kind of air permeable bag. I think I'd want to stay away from plastic bags since they don't breathe. Should that be a concern? What have you seen used and what would you recommend? Supplier names would be a plus. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

Brown paper bags.

chuckiebtoo

• sparkett788
    9 years ago

I don't see why you couldn't use plain old sheets/pillowcases or any natural fabric...cotton,muslin, etc. I would avoid those fabrics, like plastic, that cannot breathe and will kill the worms quickly--or fabrics treated with 'scotchguard', or similar anti-spill proof chemicals.. Tie shut with a 'zip tie'. You don't even need to be fancy--just cut them to size, and tie shut. This worked for me for all of last year. I even made 'tea bag' size with long string ties...so the tea bag could be pulled out easily! Personally I would wash the fabric WITHOUT soap once or twice just to be sure.

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

Burlap ?

Homemade small burlap bags would be a selling point I think.
    Also, as CB replied, brown paper bags work well as long as
    they stay dry. I'm testing some castings that have cocoons
    in small brown lunch bags -- to see if the cocoons will hatch
    a year later after "drought" or dehydration. Will be tested in
    July 2015.

For optimal use, though, isn't fresher better just as with tea ?

• mendopete
    9 years ago

I used reused feedsacks a few years back, but did not seal them. Local pick-up only. When I ran out, I bought plastic 'sandbags' from the hardware store. They breathe, and come with a tie. I've also used one of these bags to mail worms to a friend in Alaska. Cut it down, tie the top, and wrap in brown paper. The ones I got were from ace in a pack of 20 for about $15 if I remember right.
    I also looked online at coin bags that are made for banks ect. You can have a label printed on them also.

The burlap homemade bags Barbara mentioned would be the ticket at the farmers market. Maybe a bit labor intensive though.

There is something very satisfying about turning poop into money! Good luck.

Pete

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

charitycomposter I believe you are right. I do not recall this topic. I would suggest whatever that material was I got my worms mailed to me in. I can't help there. But I did like what mendopete said. "I also looked online at coin bags that are made for banks ect. You can have a label printed on them also." Just a single color print on the bag or instead a natural label made out of like beer coaster cardboard tied on with natural fiber. A really cool sign above it all. Maybe keep the bags in a beautiful wooden box. Ammo box? on top of the table with a wooden sign above them. Note: feel free to have a bin of worms so people can see where their stuff comes from.

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

Charity,

A local hippy guy here sells his vermicompost in PLA bags, PLA is compostable plastic made from corn. He says it keeps the VC from becoming too dry and dusty. He sells his VC at about $ 13 for a 50 lbs bags if one pays in bank notes (hope tax guys here don't read GW) (I guess they've been so busy learning how to rob us honest working people that they never got the time to learn English). It's the lowest price I found but then one has got to do with the perfume of the seller who certainly saves on water and soap, either because of a tree hugger ideology, or because he just doesn't mind being a damn dirty beardy hairy stinky bear.

In garden nurseries VC is sold to yuppies in fancy plastic pails with wannaby scientific lecture printed on top and photoshoped photos of perfect veggies and flowers on the side at $ 30 for 10 lbs.

Why do you want to sell VC ?

If your purpose is to make money, city yuppies are your target and you have to compromise with your conscience and use fancy printed plastic that will be flattering the ego of the buyers and lure them into getting their money from their pocket to yours. The containers mustn't be too big because yuppies don't like to carry heavy loads. They can't walk as a classic dancer in their pointy long shoes while being loaded as a mule.

If your purpose is to share VC for a reasonable price, and not accumulate material wealth, then any compostable cheap container will seduce tree huggers. Brownish colors are favored. As a tree hugger myself, I'd like brown paper bags or cardboard boxes, but won't they absorb the humidity of the VC and collapse ?

Maybe the PLA option of the stinky VC producer is not a bad idea.

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

I thought she meant she would sell castings.
    Small quantities of castings can be sprinkled on house plants.
    It can be a little vermievangelizing as well as a little profitable. . .
    maybe enough "profit" to pay for snazzy packaging.