Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulips101_gw

info.

tulips101
11 years ago

i hope this ok do do in a forum or not im looking for some Black Kow cow manure compost and this time of year everyone has that stuff put away im aboutt50 miles south east of Rockford IL 61081 i was hoping maybe some one may know a greenhouse or nursery that might have some thank you.

Comments (6)

• JerilynnC
    11 years ago

Sure it's ok.

You may want to give 'em a call or email them to see if there is a store near you that sells it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Kow

• mr_yan
    11 years ago

Is there a reason you need Black Kow brand? I just hit the website they didn't list anywhere north of Tennessee or Arkansas in the "where to buy". Amazon has it but who knows with shipping.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

I live about 10 miles from the Black Kow company and have picked up pickup truckloads there for a neighbor. While it is good stuff I would not go to the trouble of ordering it as opposed to what you can find local.

• tulips101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you JerilynnC and bamboo-rabbit and mr yan i think you are real nice people and told me what i was thinking as long as there is mostly manure in the compost any good compost will work for my worm bedding.I have heard before it the very best but that was just there opinion thank you again.

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

Even good compost without manure makes excellent bedding. The only thing to consider is that good compost is C:N balanced. If you plan to feed the worms with additional high-nitrogen food, such as kitchen scraps, you will want another high-carbon bedding source as well.

• mr_yan
    11 years ago

Slow down here tulips101. I would not consider manure as a bedding for a typical indoor worm bin. There are some here who run mostly manure systems but they are outside and also not really handling kitchen scraps or the like.

What type of system are you building?

Are you familiar with traditional composting with the high-nitrogen "greens" and high-carbon "browns"? In the case of most of our worm bins bedding is the high-carbon "browns". Typically people use paper products - corrugated cardboard, newspaper (the Rockford Register Star is not worth much more than worm bedding anyway), compressed card board like coasters and egg cartons - or in some cases fall leafs. Some people like to use coco coir (shredded coconut husks) or peat moss but I have not bought things for worm bedding.

The high-nitrogen parts would be kitchen scraps for most users but some with outdoor bins use manure.

I use my bins indoors and only add vegetative wastes and egg shells. While sometimes traces of animal products make it in (occasional oil etc.) I make an effort to keep anything form an animal out egg shells aside.

At risk for talking down to you this page walks you through setting up a bin

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County