Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jake_l

Simple Idea

jake_l
14 years ago

I have two Rubbermaid tubs, and they are both 32 gallons. My idea is to cut out the bottom of one tub and attach a screen or other filter. In the other tub, I would add 2 recycled cardboard supports (such as a recycled milk carton). I would then proceed to prepare the top bin as an ordinary bin.

Would this harvesting system work?

Comments (14)

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

I have no idea what you are trying to describe, but...

Cutting the bottom out of a Rubbermaid bin, and attaching a screen, and expecting it to stay put is probably not a good idea.

Relying on cardboard to hold up the weight of a 32 gallon worm bin in a damp environment where cardboard readily decomposes is not a good idea.

How are you expecting to harvest worms or vermicompost out of this system? Which one are you trying to remove from the system?

The upper bin will get pretty heavy. Your system needs to be strong enough to support the weight.

• melenkolee
    14 years ago

That's *close* to what I have except...instead of cutting out the bottom entirely, I drilled.1/2" holes across the bottom approx 2" apart for drainage (1/4" would have been better I think...) And 3 rows of the same along the top for circulation. A second undrilled bin is underneath to catch anything from the bottom and the top bin is propped up inside the bottom one by some old cups. Mine are 18 gallons. I'd imagine your totes would lose too much integrity if you cut out the entire bottom. If I were to redo mine however, I'd prob'ly add some screen over the holes in the bottom and some nylon along the top. :)

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

I see what melenkolee is describing. His bin is similar to mine. But that is not a harvesting system, unless you make another bin to use as a second tray, which is what I do. When I am ready to harvest, I prepare the second bin and place it on top of the first bin (bottom of the top bin sitting directly on the bedding in the lower bin). The worms eventually migrate up. I allow about 3 months for the worms clear out of the lower bin.

• melenkolee
    14 years ago

That's exactly the plan sbryce..I'm just not far along enough to need the 2nd bin yet :)

(And I'm a chick..call me jen:)

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

OK, go with the holes in the bottom of the bin. I drilled 1/4 inch holes on the bottom, and a row of holes along the top edge to let air in. What I use to hold up the bin inside the catch basin bin is 2 litre pop bottles cut down to about 4 inches high. I have six of these supports for a 14 gallon bin.

A 32 gallon bin will get heavy. Two stacked on top of each other will be hard to lift. And you will need to lift them from time to time. The worms love to crawl out the bottom of the bin and into the catch basin. They will need to be rescued every now and then.

• marauder01
    14 years ago

Do you guys get much liquid out the bottom of your tubs (jake (32 gallons / 120 liters is HUGE! wow), sbryce, Jen)?

Do you use dry paper / cardboard to try and manage moisture?

Are the bottom holes just to allow the top bin to be migrated into?

Thanks

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

1) I get some liquid. I need to pull out the active bin and pour off some of the water from time to time. It is just bad bin management. I get impatient with dry bedding on top of the bin and spray it down more than I need to. You should expect to get some water, but if you manage the bin right, it won't be much.

2) I don't use dry paper/cardboard, but I probably should. My moisture levels usually look really good, I think it is because all the excess drains down into the catch basin.

3) The holes in the bottom are also to let excess water drain out.

• melenkolee
    14 years ago

I haven't had any drainage, but am just now getting brave about putting larger quantities of food in, kinda testing where the limits are. The bottom bin is catching castings more than anything. I do mist the top layer about once a week, and the bottom is moist where the wormies are :)

• marauder01
    14 years ago

I am hoping I can get away with no bottom holes as I don't need they to migrate (ie non-stacking).

Am also hoping that I can manage moisture in such a way that I don't get too much excess (or any), but trial and error will tell the story I think.

Yeah Jen, I too am looking for the limits, but without too much damage to population. Sounds like you've got it right (so far lol) All new and good fun but!

Good luck Jake. Might be better to start with maybe 15 gal tubs just to start and see if you're approach will work. Nothing like trail and error.

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

I set up a bin like sbryce describes for my sister-in-law. I used 18 gal. totes and put two 12 oz. juice bottles on their sides for the bottom supports. I also put shredded newsprint & cardboard in the bottom bin to soak up leachate. Once a month you can put the bottom bedding into the main bin and replace with new bedding. Any worms that get into the bottom bin should be able to survive with just damp bedding.

marauder, I had a no-drain bin earlier this year. If you suspect that it's getting too wet, wedge some cardboard sheets down the sides of the bin. The cardboard will soak up excess moisture. I'm guessing "too wet" is not a problem for the worms. It's more a problem for us because other critters start to show up or the smell gets too strong.

• melenkolee
    14 years ago

Yeah, it's totally trial and error..I've learned from this board to start slow and always give the worms space to 'escape' if a section of the bin isn't to their liking. Pocket feeding has worked best for me, and it seems everyone is happy because they are spread out all over the bin and nobody has developed wanderlust lately (thank goodness..bare feet and worms on the kitchen floor are a rude surprise! :)

• marauder01
    14 years ago

Yeah plumiebear, I have done that before myself. Takes careful management, but I believe it's possible.

I also leave space for the worms to escape, and only feed on half the bin at a time. I'd not thought of the bare feet therapy on the kitchen floor though, but I guess, what ever floats your boat! lol.

• melenkolee
    14 years ago

Only if you consider a grown woman yelping across the kitchen at 6am cuz she stepped on 'something squishy' in the dark having one's boat floated...

At least it amuses my son. I suspect he may have had a hand in aiding and abetting the escapees just to exact his revenge for what he terms a 'completely unreasonable bedtime' :) rotten kids :)

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

maybe turn the light on instead of squishing around in the dark. if you could turn on the lights before going in the bathroom too us guys could leave the seat up as well. sorry, couldn't resist that one:)