Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has Anyone used a 'Down Under Pot?'

Posted by macthayer z4 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 20:08

Has anyone used one of those "Down Under" pots from Australia? They're the kind where you plant in one end, and as soon as the plant is growing well, you turn the pot upside down and hand it on a stand -- or I suppose you could hang it on almost anything as long as it didn't bump up against something. Did it work well for you? What kind of plant did you use. I want all the details! If you don't know what I mean, go to the following web site and look up "Down Under Pots":

http://www.kinsmangarden.com

Thanks!
MacThayer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has Anyone used a 'Down Under Pot?'

Howdy MacThayer,
I got the idea here (I think) a couple of years ago to use a two or three litre soda bottle. Cut the bottom off and tun it upside down. You can use an old tomato cage to suspend it. Put some wire or chains on it to hang it. Cut off the excess wire and use it.
I used a tomato plant that was started in a fiber pot. The pot kept it from falling through the hole. Put soil on top gently and the roots grow through the pot to the soil. It worked great. I hung it on my porch in the afternoon sun and had great tomatoes until Dec. when it finally froze. I didn't lose any to the birds either I guess because they didn't have the tomato cage to sit on while they munched. Try it before you purchase any to see if it works for you. I will try two or three this year.

o

This is an old thread, but I just came across it today. I've used a Down Under Pot for several years. I've tried Mona Lavender, Dianthus, and Perilla and so far like the Perilla the best. Next time I'm going to try a wax Begonia. It works very well, looks nice, and is fairly carefree. This is what my pot looks like:

down under pot

o

That's really pretty - I like the idea and have bought a kit to make one. I'd like to try a tomato plant. I'd love to see more pics of anyone's upside down plants!!

o

I love the Down Under Pots. My wife has several of the pots in use and she brings them inside during the winter months and keeps the plants alive. The Down Under Pot has a small well to hols water so when it is inverted if you are careful when you water it the water will not run right out. Check out my video on Youtube to see one being planted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUB9IYcq1l4

Here is a link that might be useful: Down Under Pots

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here