Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samwright_gw

what plants you can grow in vertical gardening?

SamWright
11 years ago

I never tried vertical gardening and I wanted to give it a try after watching a video from youtube of using the soda plastic bottles in making a vertical garden. What kind of plants can you grow in it? Thanks! Sam

Comments (17)

• eircsmith
    11 years ago

Thanks for starting thread regarding vertical gardening, it can be informative. Can you share YouTube link related to vertical gardening?

• Oil_Robb
    11 years ago

A lot of vining plants can be staked vertically, eg. cucmbers,any melons,beans tomatoes.zuchinni,squash. I find cattle panels work best and are inexpensive. it is real easy to bar lock cheap 1/2" black hose to the bottom of the panel, then punch a hole into the bottom of the hose every 6", then and attach a garden hose and wait 20 minutes and you have 2" of water applier directly to your plant. They (cattle panels) are light weight last a life time and are real easy to store if you want to prop them up in the winter. Google cattle panel trellis and you will find tons of great ideas. This method keep your plants off the ground (less mold) and makes it real easy to prune and weed & water and fertilize and it really makes you garden look great, its real easy to harvest without stepping on vines or bending over to look under every leaf for cuckes and melons.Good luck I have 6.. 4' X 16' cattle panels in an area where nobody uses trellis and people are astounded when they see English cucmbers hanging over head or melons 6' off the ground or indeterminate tomatoe that are 7' tall. Have fun with them

• eircsmith
    11 years ago

It's great information related vertical gardening.
    It's an informative reply for us.
    Thanks.

• SamWright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everybody!

I have attached the link to the youtube video. It's pretty easy. And, thanks to Oil Robb as I have now an idea of what to plant. I think or should I say, I want to plant cucumber first. That would be a good start.

Thanks everybody!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Vertical in Soda Bottles - The Wisconsin Vegetable Gardener

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

The video was very interesting. I made a different type of soda bottle garden. I had arugula, cilantro, parsley, chives, strawberries, basil and sage. I'm getting ready to replant it for the coming growing season.

Here is a link that might be useful: recycled bottle garden

• nelsoncastro
    11 years ago

Cucumber vines can grow as long as 6 feet; growing them vertically will save a lot of soil for other plants. Cucumbers can be a bit heavy, so plant the vines near a chain-line fence or inside a wire cage. When the vines first begin to run, you may need to train them to the fencing; after a week or so they will grasp onto the wires and pull themselves up farther every day.

Pole beans are one of the two varieties of beans grown. Unlike their bushy cousins, pole beans grow on slender vines that wander for long distances. These light, thin vines can grow up almost any vertical structure. Set up bamboo poles into a tepee shape or run a series of strings between poles to get the vines off the ground and the beans in the air.

Tomatoes grow much better when they are caged or trellised vertically. The tomatoes have less chance of splitting and rotting from being in the dirt, the vines are up in the air so that pests can be spotted and taken care of easier and the fruit can be supported, so larger tomatoes can grow. Install classic tomato cages around the seedlings when they are planted, and gently tie tomato vines to the cages to train them.

• imscattered
    10 years ago

MisterK - I love the look of the shoe bag garden!! What is holding them up? Do you have a hole poked in bottom? Are they made of cloth or plastic? Would there any problems with leeching of bag chemical material into the plant? That is a question I wonder with the plastic bottle garden too.

• gardenbeet
    10 years ago

Hi Khaled - wow!!!! that is a lot of shoe holders.

Please tell me how long your shoe holders have lasted.

You are giving them a tough time - they were never designed to allow for periods of drying and wetting - does the stitching give way?

I understand that purpose built wall planters are expensive when compared with the shoe holder but I am wondering about your life cycle costs.

I have wally pocket planters that I have used now for 4 years - they are tough and hold moisture as well.

Do you find water drains very quickly from the shoe holder?

thanks in advance

• gardenbeet
    10 years ago

oops your name is MisterK not khaled!!

• MisterK
    10 years ago

@gardenbeet: yes, i am indeed torturing them in a hardcore way,and thats on purpose. Theres no point of using a cheaper solution if it needs replacing twice a year :-p.

the first ones i bought have been through 2 winters already, this is their 3rd one, and they are holding great :) the stitching never gave away, even on model with the thinner material ( the light brown/beige ones). The textile ripped completely but the stitches are like new!

Wally pockets have certain benefits for sure, snce they are specially designed for growing, but are not economically viable and i suspect they wont last much longer than those shoe organizers which cost a fraction of the price :)

The material in those shoe organizers had no drainage holes but the material itself drains. They do dry out very quickly due to the small size of the pockets ans the fact that they are not contiguous. The best 2 improvements that could be made to this system is drip irrigation and using a white material to keep things cooler. Otherwise, they are a godsend :)

And my name is Khaled, but my nick here is MisterK

Khaled :)

• MisterK
    10 years ago

@imscaterred: this is not directed specifically to you, but ill answer the leaching chemicals into the soil question when everyone stops using plastic containers for growing and eating/drinking out of plastic containers. Im really puzzled as to why people thinks of this but never complain about the zillion poisons and chemicals in the foods we eat, let alone the packaging.

Anyone who thinks about it for a second can figure out a dirt cheap, 2 seconds solution if they really insist that the pvc or plastic or whatever is dangerous.

Khaled

• kimbirdlegs
    10 years ago

I enjoyed reading all of the great ideas. I have purchased a great product which is friendly for the environment and is well made! Its from an up and coming called Plants On Walls. They have a great product and I started off by purchasing one of their items to see how my indoor plants would grow. I sent a pic, Awesome product, well made, safe and is said to last a very long time. It is also made in the US so I thought it was worth a try. I will be ordering more to take outside this spring to grow veggies and other plants of my choosing. Oh, one more thing it comes with what they call a root wrap so you can change out the plants if you choose and move them around from pocket to pocket. Draining is also excellent and I only have to water the top and it filtrates down. Well worth the money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants on Walls

• vegpatch
    10 years ago

Here' s a link to vertical gardening on Pinterest for those who are visual to see what can be done... vertically..

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical Gardening

• MisterK
    10 years ago

hello everyone, Ive started a facebook group on backyard vertical farming and its really really interesting, we have almost 1000 members already and youll find all my tricks and tips on vertical farming there :)

Its called Vertical Farming Alliance, join us now were going to have an amazing season :)

Khaled

• catherinet
    8 years ago

I am using my children's old swingset in the garden. I grow snow peas on the ends, cucumbers up one side and plant peppers on the ground underneath. I did line the swingset with concrete reinforcing wire and the cucumbers and snow peas seem to love growing up it.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures