Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening on Sand Dune

Posted by soteriagal 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 12:42

We live in north central Indiana on top of a very large sand dune. There IS grass, weeds and trees growing from the sand but gardening is out of the question. We have a large section of dirt at the bottom of the sand dune near the woods, but it floods almost every year so that is useless. Now we're trying to find ways to build a large garden on top of the sand dune near the house .... and that quest has lead me to container gardening and vertical gardening.

Space isn't a problem, we have a large yard which is already fenced off. But with containers and vertical gardening, how deep should the dirt be? I would guess it depends on the plants, eh? I am wondering also what would be less expensive, rows and rows and rows of containers or buying some topsoil and having it hauled in and dumped? I would think the soil would eventually seem into the sand, wouldn't it? Yet pots are SO expensive! Perhaps raised beds? Guess I need some ideas.

I'm talking your basic large garden full of corn, tomatoes, cukes, peppers, green beans, snap peas, squash, etc. Enough to can for the winter and beyond.

Marci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening on Sand Dune

I may be missing something here, but wouldn't it make more sense to move the dirt you have at the bottom of the hill to the sandy area, as opposed to buying dirt somewhere else and taking a chance that it will be suitable and not filled with weed seeds or otherwise unfit? Just an idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here