Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwahlton

Would a wooden trellis be OK?

jwahlton
13 years ago

This is my first year of square foot gardening. Home Depot won't cut the conduit for me and I can't fit that in my car! I'm thinking of a wooden trellis fortified with rebar at the bottom. I'll be growing cucumbers, small watermelons/cantalope, beans using the trellis. I think I'll be OK, right?

Comments (6)

• johngreenhand
    13 years ago

you ahould be able to buy 5 foot conduit
    I am going to use gray electrical plastic pvc stabbing in ground and then connecting and bending to an arch btw using one haf inch conduit and it seems plenty strong.

• magnoliasouth
    13 years ago

I have been researching trellises like crazy these past few days. So much so that I'm actually dreaming about them at night! I'm not kidding either.

That said, you definitely CAN use wood as a trellis. The only downfall is the length of time it will last and that depends on the type of wood. My understanding is that cedar lasts longer than pine, for example. Also you want untreated wood, but there are some who say you can treat it with certain things and it would be okay. I don't remember right off hand what you can use, but you can Google that.

Below is a link to a book I found online that is VERY helpful. I loved it so much that I ordered it from Amazon, used for only $4! In any case, the "preview" will give you some ideas on any type of trellis that you can adapt it to your needs. Scroll down the page (at the link) for a bunch of amazing ideas.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellis Ideas

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW, thanks for that!

• rosiew
    13 years ago

A suggestion: go to the store manager at the HD that said they wouldn't cut the conduit for you. Great chance he'll say 'DO IT'. Let us know, k?

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Have you considered PVC? They make a slick little pipe cutting gadget that is really cheap and really easy to use. I love PVC because there are so many options for making attachments, elbows, t's, 4-ways. Plus, different sizes. It's great material for creating things like my dog agility obstacles and garden stuff. And, one of the few mediums that don't require me to use sharp power tools!

• jolj
    12 years ago

Junk yard should have what you want & cost is by the pound.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor