Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would a wooden trellis be OK?

Posted by jwahlton 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 12:56

This is my first year of square foot gardening. Home Depot won't cut the conduit for me and I can't fit that in my car! I'm thinking of a wooden trellis fortified with rebar at the bottom. I'll be growing cucumbers, small watermelons/cantalope, beans using the trellis. I think I'll be OK, right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would a wooden trellis be OK?

you ahould be able to buy 5 foot conduit
I am going to use gray electrical plastic pvc stabbing in ground and then connecting and bending to an arch btw using one haf inch conduit and it seems plenty strong.

o

I have been researching trellises like crazy these past few days. So much so that I'm actually dreaming about them at night! I'm not kidding either.

That said, you definitely CAN use wood as a trellis. The only downfall is the length of time it will last and that depends on the type of wood. My understanding is that cedar lasts longer than pine, for example. Also you want untreated wood, but there are some who say you can treat it with certain things and it would be okay. I don't remember right off hand what you can use, but you can Google that.

Below is a link to a book I found online that is VERY helpful. I loved it so much that I ordered it from Amazon, used for only $4! In any case, the "preview" will give you some ideas on any type of trellis that you can adapt it to your needs. Scroll down the page (at the link) for a bunch of amazing ideas.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellis Ideas

o

WOW, thanks for that!

o

A suggestion: go to the store manager at the HD that said they wouldn't cut the conduit for you. Great chance he'll say 'DO IT'. Let us know, k?

o

Have you considered PVC? They make a slick little pipe cutting gadget that is really cheap and really easy to use. I love PVC because there are so many options for making attachments, elbows, t's, 4-ways. Plus, different sizes. It's great material for creating things like my dog agility obstacles and garden stuff. And, one of the few mediums that don't require me to use sharp power tools!

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 13:08

Junk yard should have what you want & cost is by the pound.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here