Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vertical PVC Pipe?

Posted by charlielittle 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 15:49

Hi vertical folks. I mostly am at the hydroponic forum and just was wondering if any of you have ever or know of anyone growing plants right out of the side of standing PVC pipe through holes drilled in the sides of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vertical PVC Pipe?

HGTV instructions for building a vertical pipe planter. Guess it does work!

Vertical Pipe Planter

o

Check out Tom Wood`s site. allseasonfruitcompany.com

o

Oh man Russ that is amazing! Thanks for the link and now I have no doubt what I want to do will work!

o

I guess I was meant to see the posts here. Especially the strawberry one. I have been wondering all summer, so far, as to how I could make something like one of those clay strawberry pots. They are to expensive to buy. I have sort of an idea I was trying to figure using those black pots that the nursery's use. There is one in town that has a recycle bin of pots and I wanted to use them - FREE!! Now I know what I am going to do. However, I think I will use the black weeping hose thingy to see if it will work. I started with a couple of plants about 4 years ago and they have taken over my veggie garden, a more or less vacant spot, and a flower garden. Last year I pulled up all the ones in the veggie garden, or so I thought. They were back this year without any help from me.
Sandra

o

Absolutely, plants do grow vertically out of the sides of containers including PVC. I've seen several different types of containers that allow plants to grow out of the sides.

There's another thread about strawberries that goes into more detail for those interested:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg071550285672.html?16

~Angela

o

I got my hands on a 8" diameter pipe that holds 24 plants now, but i think next year i will add another 20 holes or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical Strawberries in PCV Pipe. Strawberry Tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here