Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trellis for raised bed - easy to construct

Posted by jennieboyer none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 15:19

Hi All,

I have a raised vegetable bed that has three rows of plants - half cucumber, half yellow squash. I need to build some type of trellis for them to climb on, but I don't have any help so need something easy to build on my own. I am a 41 yo female - fairly able bodied, but not super strong :-) I also need clear directions - I have looked through the forum and see some interesting ideas, but I don't completely understand them! The beds are about 8 feet long and 4 feet wide. They are about 30" high and the soil is very organic and rich - SUPER easy to dig in, so may need to anchor supports somehow. Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trellis for raised bed - easy to construct

I just put a trellis on my raised beds. I used 7' tall steel fence posts at each end, and hung some garden trellis string netting between the posts. I've used this method for three or four years now, and I like that it's movable and yet all the parts are durable. It is easy to push the posts into the soft soil by standing on them, so I can do it with no help from husband, and with small children running around. It's a bit of a pain to get the dead vines off the string net, so I have heard of some people constructing their own "net" out of cotton string. That way the whole mess is compostable at the end of the season. I included a link of the posts, I get mine at Menards but Most home improvement stores would have them. This is where I got the garden trellis: http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/garden-growers/supports-ties-and-fences/garden-trellis-prod001220.html?catId=3052&trail=

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel fence post

o

fruitmaven - this is excellent. jennie read my mind. I have been looking all over for a simple way to trellis cukes.

I have a question. Do those green posts rust? Most stuff I saw used either wood or bamboo, which the wood rots & bamboo looks a little too flimsy.

o

I haven't had any problems with rust, and they've been outside for a few summer seasons. (They were inside over the winters since prior to this year, I was using them in community gardens. Yay for finally having my own backyard!) They are powder-coated steel so I'm sure the places that get nicked will rust sometime. I think it could take a decade or two to completely rust away, though.

o

jennie ~

we're building a trellis for my flowering vines using yardgard - its comes in a roll, 4'x50', and costs about $50 - kinda expensive, but we're using it b/c the previous owners left it behind - they used it to keep their dog (typical usage for this product) inside the screened in porch

it has a 2"x3" window with vinyl/metal mesh - they also come in something like chicken wire and a really small 1/2"x1" window called hardware cloth, also

we staple-gunned it on to a wood frame

the link takes you to home depot, but we bought ours at a nursery that also sells pet supplies

~ freshair

Here is a link that might be useful: YardGard - potential trellis material

o

You can also use t-posts, which were designed for constructing fences for cattle and horses. They come in various sizes, 5' through 8' posts are commonly available.

Here is a link that might be useful: T-Post Pictures and Info

o

• Posted by fuzzy 6b northern AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 23:22

The cattle panel arch comes to mind...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattle Panel Arch discussion- many pictures

o

I am using 3 metal t-posts and a piece of concrete mesh - 5' x 10' with 6" squares - for beans, cukes, tomatoes and an assortment of squash and zucchini. The holes are large enough that you can pick from both sides of the trellis.

The plus is that the posts and the mesh can be stored in non-growing seasons in very little space; use the mesh in sheets as opposed to rolls so that it does not curl. Look for construction sites where they are doing concrete work; you may pick up some left over sheets. The stuff lasts forever.

I start the mesh about 8-12" above the ground and train the stalks to climb when the plants get some length to them. The posts and mesh are very strong and can support a lot of weight; the middle post keeps the trellis from bending out of line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here