Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmalinesuzanne

Garden plot over old parking lot.

emmalinesuzanne
11 years ago

Huh, I thought this forum would be more active, anyways... If someone wants to suggest another forum for me to put this under, give me a shout out please!

I have a plot in my local community garden. It's my second year and I have learned that 2 feet below the soil is an old parking lot. I never saw any soggy areas, drainage is not a concern here. However, this does create a slight problem for me in my trellis construction.

The plot itself is approximately 10' by 10'. I would like to put up a sturdy trellis over at least half of the perimeter for 2 tomato and 2 cucumbers, in addition to some lighter weight snow peas and pole beans. I'm concerned about the integrity of the trellis if I only have a maximum of 2 feet to anchor it in.

We do get some pretty severe wind gusts, and I can just see a lightweight trellis sailing across the community garden. I feel like if I can find an entire piece, and bend it at the correct spot for my corners, it would give it a lot of stability. I'm not sure what material would even bend at a 90-degree angle.

Any material suggestions or structural tips from anybody? Pictures, anecdotes, other places to ask are all welcome!

Emma

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus