Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden plot over old parking lot.

Posted by emmalinesuzanne NY 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 0:12

Huh, I thought this forum would be more active, anyways... If someone wants to suggest another forum for me to put this under, give me a shout out please!

I have a plot in my local community garden. It's my second year and I have learned that 2 feet below the soil is an old parking lot. I never saw any soggy areas, drainage is not a concern here. However, this does create a slight problem for me in my trellis construction.

The plot itself is approximately 10' by 10'. I would like to put up a sturdy trellis over at least half of the perimeter for 2 tomato and 2 cucumbers, in addition to some lighter weight snow peas and pole beans. I'm concerned about the integrity of the trellis if I only have a maximum of 2 feet to anchor it in.

We do get some pretty severe wind gusts, and I can just see a lightweight trellis sailing across the community garden. I feel like if I can find an entire piece, and bend it at the correct spot for my corners, it would give it a lot of stability. I'm not sure what material would even bend at a 90-degree angle.

Any material suggestions or structural tips from anybody? Pictures, anecdotes, other places to ask are all welcome!

Emma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden plot over old parking lot.

• Posted by JWW_1 8B / 9A (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 21:07

Most people are suggesting that you drive 24" of rebar into the ground and then slip conduit over about 24" of exposed rebar. If you take a 48" length of rebar and drive down 24" you should get a fairly stable dowel to anchor your trellis.

Have you dug down to verify the depth to the supposed parking lot? What pavement material was used? If the parking lot was paved with asphalt, you can probably pound rebar through and get a very stable trellis anchor. If it is concrete, you will need to drill through or bust out the concrete in the area you want the trellis anchored.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: Garden plot over old parking lot.

"Most people are suggesting that you drive 24" of rebar into the ground and then slip conduit over about 24" of exposed rebar. If you take a 48" length of rebar and drive down 24" ".

Couldn't agree more..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here