Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which veggies need a trellis?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 9, Lehigh Acres FL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 9:18

Sounds like a dumb question I know, but which veggies require the use of a trellis to train their vines?

I can think of a couple off the top of my head....

Sugar snap peas/snow peas

Eggplant (variety I want to grow is bambino, a miniature variety; would I still need to train the vines via a trellis)

Melons (cantaloupe, watermelon; both varieties I grow would be bush) (???)

Do bush/compact varieties of tomatoes (known as determinate)
need to have their vines trained via the use of a trellis?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which veggies need a trellis?

I'm not sure whether you are asking which plants require a TRELLIS v. simply requiring some support to grow up against.

I very deliberately avoid using any kind of trellis whenever possible--untangling dead vines from a permanent trellis each fall is murder.

Instead I use cotton string and train vines to grow up that. At the end of the season, I simply cut the strings and throw the entire mass into the compost--strings and all. It's an easy five minute job rather than a couple hours having my hands rasped by plant bristles.

The plants that I train up the strings:

Pole peas, pole beans, cucumbers, bitter melon, vining varieties of squash, vining melons.

You should not need support for the eggplant--I've never met a vining eggplant. Determinate tomatoes should be non-vining, though I've had to stake a few in the past to keep them from flopping over. A few of my pepper plants as well needed staking. I suppose the eggplant could flop if the stem isn't sturdy enough, but it should not require trellising.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here