Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vertical Gardening at an Angle

Posted by joshinwi none (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 21:02

Hi All-
I'm new here... actually I'm new to gardening. Giving it a go this year. We'll see how it works out. So far, I'm having a lot of fun.
So I'm doing square foot gardening. Everything is planted and growing as it should, but now it's time that I make trellises.
I understand that a lot of people use conduit to make trellises. Does anyone ever have any issues of the trellises rusting? If they would rust, would that have any impact on the health of the plants?
Also, I want to put my trellises at a 45 degree angle vs. a 90 degree angle. Do you think there would be an issue with that? I have the space, and in my mind I think it will be easier for me.

Thanks!
Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vertical Gardening at an Angle

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 15:12

I have some cukes grow at 45 degrees.
This photo is a test, made from two flat screens of welded metal wire, with stakes to hold them in place & wired at the top were they touch. I worked very well & I will take photo's for it in use next Spring.
src="http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g323/JLeGrand2/GEDC3216.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">
You can move the stakes to any angle from 180 degrees flat on the ground to 90 degrees with no angle at all.

o
RE: Vertical Gardening at an Angle

I've had a conduit trellis for several years, and it's doing fine. As for rust, it's the iron oxide, not harmful to plants. The rust that is harmful to plants is a disease that has nothing in common with rust on metal. I plan to soak the netting in a bleach solution beofe using it again because of disease problems this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato support

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here