Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any suggestions to train summer squash to grow vertically?

Posted by txnewtogardening TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 13:55

Hello-

I am a first time vegetable gardener. We have a small square plot where we are growing corn, yellow squash and watermelon. Seeds were placed in: corn-squash-corn-watermelon-corn-squash-corn configuration. The crops to the right of the watermelon row are taking off and We've enjoyed some of the squash already.

My question is... Is it too late to build and train the squash to grow vertically? If I still have time, what suggestions do you have for me to rig a vertical structure to guide them, hopefully without damaging the plants? How do you secure the plants to the structure to train them? Please help.

The reason I'm asking is that as the weather warms, the corn will take off, and the squash may not have adequate sun.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any suggestions to train summer squash to grow vertically?

Is your summer squash a vining type? How far between it and the other plants? It may be possible to sink 6' T-post 2-3' apart and wire either field fence or cut pieces of Cattle Panel between them if you have the room. Then, you just start training the vine up the fence/panel tying the vine using cotton strips from an old T-shirt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellised cucumbers

o

Thanks tomncath for your suggestion and picture. I like your setup for the cucumbers.

I didn't think that I could grow them in pots so I planted my seeds in the ground. Are there advantages to planting in pots versus in ground?

The spacing between my squash plants is about 6" apart, and the spacing between each row is probably 12" apart.

Do you think a similar setup will work? Or will I need to do individual posts? I don't know how deep I can go into the ground so I don't know if individual posts will be adequate support. I probably need to add a little bit more soil and top it with mulch now that the weather is really warming up.

o

Hard to say, remember that we're geographically VERY different. I can tell you that my benefit from the pots with trellising is control of worms and powdery mildew, which I was very successful at...being able to spray Thuricide (BT) on BOTH sides of the leaves definitely kept the worms at bay, and having the leaves so far up off the ground significantly reduced the powdery mildew problem.

Good luck!

Tom

o

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 8:38

New tag, photo embedded:

Winter Cucumbers 2008 - 2

o

Hi I am new too. I live in PA and I haven't had time to profile. I have a small garden space (no corn)with yellow longneck squash. This year I will cut the leaves back once the flowers bloom, so the sqush fruit can get sun. I will let you know the results??? The Indians grew corn, squash, and green beans together because green beans give nitorgen for corn to grow. Haydiann15@yahoo.com...Daisy

o

Hi I am new too. I live in PA and I haven't had time to profile. I have a small garden space (no corn)with yellow longneck squash. This year I will cut the leaves back once the flowers bloom, so the sqush fruit can get sun. I will let you know the results??? The Indians grew corn, squash, and green beans together because green beans give nitorgen for corn to grow. Haydiann15@yahoo.com...Daisy

o

Yarn, and crossing fingers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here