Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Wall

Posted by suburbanfarmgirl 9 (Riverside County- (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 0:18

I don't know how to post a picture in the message (copy & paste didn't work)... I saw the coolest thing the other day that is something I want to do at home. It's a Growing Wall.

The middle was made of dirt covered with shade cloth. Covering that was chicken wire then hog panels. They cut holes into the shade cloth where they wanted to put plants - and it turned out lovely. I've taken pictures of it and it's on my webpage at http://www.suburbanfarmgirl.net/july-19-2010.html.

Where I saw this was a little place called "A Knot In Thyme~Holly Farm and Lavender Gardens" and you can see it on their website at http://stores.homestead.com/AKnotInThyme/-strse-template/about/Page.bok. My page has a lot of pictures and a video of it too.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has done anything like this before and how it turned out for you. Also if anyone can think of ideas for this - what to grow, how to construct it, etc.

Thanks,
SFG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Wall

I tried to make something for a wall hanging using succulents. it worked but aesthetically it could have looked far better. I would be interested to know how the owners made their own living wall. What supports the wall, what sort of irrigation system does it have? Did they provide information on how it was built?

o

I haven't tried it myself but have seen them popping up all over. Woolly pockets seems to be a popular product for everyday use.
I found this for heavy duty vertical gardening http://www.greenecowalls.com/index2.html

Ianna- what did you use?

o

Well I used wire basket which I reshaped to a tube form and used weed cloth to line the basket. But like I said, it could have looked better so while it worked, I decided to throw it away.

o

I located containers for living wall systems at Lowes over the weekend and so purchased one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here