Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nattydoll

DIY Vertical, hanging garden - Tips on transplanting + hanging?

nattydoll
9 years ago

Inspired by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vN2eudWcQ&feature=share&list=PLJhSDv5VSRVbNkrvHfuJncnBzrcy1I-4T&index=4

I am making an apparatus out of 2-3 recycled plastic orange juice bottles, connecting them to each other vertically, with plants hanging out a flap in the front of each container.

HANGING
Does this sound OK? A bent wire hanger, inserted through two small holes in the top container, bending the hanger in half, so the hook part hangs over the various nails already drilled in the walls from previous tenants.

I would only do 2 or 3 bottles together in a single column, for weight purposes, and because I don't need *that much* lettuce :)

Should I try them on the North or West facing walls? There's nails all over the place. When my Morning Glories get tall enough, I'm training them up the walls. There are lots of spiders on the West facing wall, but both sides get LOTS of heat where they intersect.

TRANSPLANTING
I have lots of leaf lettuce seedlings that I started inside, mostly 2" high. Some have been that height for a week. Are they ready to transplant? How many should I do per container? They germinated very quickly, but the roots are so shallow, they were hard to thin out and transplant the first time.

Should I start some from seed within the containers, or will they germinate faster inside? These are from a mixed bag of "French salad leaf lettuce" varieties.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I normally like to experiment, but I have already bought so much potting soil this year, I really want to get these right! ha.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus