Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19989303

Shading a Brick Wall

User
15 years ago

I am planning to xeriscape a small yard. Although it is a detached house the yard is small, more what you would expect in a townhouse. There is a five foot strip down both sides of the house with a 6Â wooden privacy fence; the houses on both sides have a similar strip so there are about 10Â away. The house faces North East and is dark red brick with a high peaked roof from about 10Â to an 18Â peak. The house is about 10 years old and the brick and mortar are in good condition.

I want to reduce heating and cooling energy use by providing some shade on both sides. I live in San Antonio, TX. We have hot dry summers, but our winters are mild (Zone 9). You donÂt notice the sides of the house from the street, but can be they can be seen by the neighbors especially on the NE side. I am looking for a vine that will look ok on the wall, but it does it does not have to be ornamental, although attracting butterflies and hummingbirds would be a plus. Since this is a xeriscape, drought tolerance and low water use are important. If possible I would also like to work in some edible climbing plants on the lower part of the wall, but the ground only gets 3 or 4 hours of sun, more as you go up the wall.

Any suggestions for drought tolerant, low water use vines or other plants to provide some cooling for my vertical green wall would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sizzling in San Antonio

Comment (1)