Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Secret to growing sweet cantaloupe?

Posted by lasparks63 TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 11, 09 at 19:48

Is there one? I'm just wondering. The first one was terrible. I think it's because it poured down rain the day before it was ready. The next one was better, but not a lot. I read something about only allowing so many to grow on a vine at one time, but can't find the post. Just wondered if anyone has any tips.

Thanks,
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Secret to growing sweet cantaloupe?

For the last 2 weeks before the fruit matures, only give the plant enough water to keep it alive. This is what makes melons sweet.

EG

o

It sounds like you may be picking them a little early. I would recommend that you wait until the webbing is really pronounced, the fruit should have a hollow sound when you thump it with your finger. Also, it should smell really sweet. After all that When you pick yours from the vine allow it to sit in the sun for one or two days. This will concentrate the sugars and the taste is phenominal. I am in my second growing season. This has worked well for me this year. My kids can't wait for the cantelope to be ripe because it is so good.

o

I grew ambrosia's this year. I didn't get very many because I only planted a couple of plants. However, the ones I did get were excellent. As far as what to do about the sweetness....mine were sweet and I didn't do anything to them. Also, about picking when ripe.......when the cantalope are ripe they will detach themselves from the vine. I promise!! I read this somewhere and told my husband and he didn't belive me. So I was determined to prove him wrong. The first cantalope was just turning from green and I would not touch it. Then I went out there and it did detach itself from the vine. I brought it in that afternoon, cut it up and we ate it. It was so sweet and not over or under ripe!! I also read that when growing the cantalope plants when the vine begins to get too leggy to pick off the leggy part with no blooms and it will cause more female blooms to come and produce more cantalope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here