Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkins rotting at vine base

Posted by mainegard3 5b-6a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 19:12

My pumpkins were healthy with flowers and green leaves. Two weeks ago I noticed the vines at the base were yellow and unhealthy looking. I cut them open to find what looks like the black poppy seed like stuff. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkins rotting at vine base

Well...this happened to me here in Florida as well...It looks like the Squash Vine Borer payed your pumpkins a fatal visit. They eat your stems from the inside. The black poppy seed stuff is their excrement. You can always tell they are in there because of the frass near the entry hole. The leaves wilt and then the whole thing starts changing to yellows and browns as if it were diseased. DO NOT COMPOST these critters. I have not found anything yet that keeps them away either. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kovar Garden YouTube Channel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here