Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food on vines on nets on walls

Posted by andrewhoerner (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 20:31

Dear folks--

I have a largish, flat back yard in Oakland CA (cool but mild, wet winters and dry summers) that is completely surrounded by a rather unattractive seven foot solid plank fence. Parts of the east-facing and north-facing fences are significantly shaded by trees in neighboring yards.

I have a fantasy of using much if not all of that fence as a place to grow climbing vines that provide attractive foliage and food. I am writing for advice and suggestions about such vines.

I come to gardening late in life and am an enthusiastic but relatively ignorant gardener. If I am really to plant all this footage of fence, it would have to be with plants that are reasonably pest-resistant and not too fussy.

Can folks suggest fruits and vegetables that you think could do well on, say, nets hung on these fences? I would also very much welcome practical advice on where to buy plants, choosing between plants and seeds, plants that can still be planted this year, and the like.

Any suggestions or pointers you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Warmly,

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food on vines on nets on walls

• Posted by maj742 Z4 Green Bay WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 15:17

Andrew,

This past year I had varying degrees of success growing vegetables and flowers vertically, much of it due to the sunshine amount reaching the plants. We had a pretty hot summer with huge amounts of rain this year.

Cucumbers, pole beans, and sun sugar tomatoes in full sun did enormously well. Butternut squash in some shade did moderately well. Main crop tomatoes and "Amy Melon" in half sun were so-so. Jenny Lind melons in more shade were not at all successful. Sugar snap peas, while getting enough sun, simply didn't produce a large crop.

Summer squash grew huge vines and took over a large part of the garden, out of control, like the plant in the play "Little Shop of Horrors". The poles I had pounded in and hoped to use in training the vines were completely inadequate.

I have pruned some shrubs and a tree this fall hoping to get more sun on to the shadiest part of the garden for next year. The supports I have in the garden are two tall vertical trellises on the shadier side, and an arbor tunnel consisting of three separate arbors. The best arbor by far is made out of cattle panel formed into an upside down U shape.

On another note, trellises with clematis in full sun and Seven-Sisters rose in half sun were nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here