Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want to do this!!! Help / Advice / Direction

Posted by sdpa Central NY (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 9:50

This I can do, I know I can. My DH and I want to plant a veg garden next year and I love the idea of vertical gardening. What do I need to do this fall? Anything?

Besides cucbers, melons, beans and squash what else can I grow vertically? We're not fans of tomoatoes but I'd grow some for the experience.

What's the best and / or easiest way to trellis the vines? I looked at another post who has a great pvc trellis system (sorry, I cannot recall the gentleman's name). Is that expensive? Am I better off, cost / maintenance wise going w/ cattle fence?

Any good articles / sources I should check?

Thanks in advance!

Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want to do this!!! Help / Advice / Direction

You probably saw my post on my cattle panel arch trellis I made. I must comment it has worked wonderfully for cucumbers and to prop my tomatoes against. For $30 in parts, it's probably the single best garden purchase I made this year. I am thinking of covering it with that thick plastic that bed mattresses come inside this winter and making it a mini greenhouse. I am working ideas to create walls for the open sides. I very pleased with how well my arch has supported all the plants I added around it.

o
RE: I want to do this!!! Help / Advice / Direction

Hi, I make most of my vegetable trellises using 5 foot landscaper stakes and junk I have around the house. They're cheap and made out of really tough stuff.
For the squash I drove the stakes in the ground where I wanted them and screwed u-shaped organizer hooks into the top (sold at most hardware stores, usually covered with red rubbery stuff), then I took a long bamboo pole and rested the ends in the u hooks and wove a net using string - I got the basic idea from the tire recycling book.
Last year I made a tall bean trellis using stakes and scrap 1 x 3's, drive the stakes into the ground, screw 8' 1x3's to the stakes, with the u hook screwed into the end and you can lay another 1x3 on top. Tie strings to the top 1x3 and another string at the base horizontally and tie the verticle strings to it to anchor them.
I also made simple trellises for cukes using the stakes as side rails, scrap lumber across the top and 3 or so feet down to make a frame and stapled chicken wire to it. Drive the stakes into the ground where you want the trellis.
I think last year my neighbors were totally freaked when these structures started sprouting in my yard but when everything was growing they were pretty impressed. At the end of the season it all comes apart real easy too.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here