Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy bamboo trellis stakes (affordably)?

Posted by jimigunne 9A (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 10:58

I am on acreage, so I need like 250 or 500 to do some good.
I'd like to make lots of teepees 6 ft. high....1 ft. in the ground. (stakes up to 8 ft. long can be shipped)

I checked Gemplers', and they want 148.00 for 200 stakes, 7ft. x 5/8 plain bamboo. Ouch! That is unaffordable. Per piece its only 14cents, but still too high when you need a lot. And then such a bundle will be quite heavy, probably another 30.00 at least to ship. Any ideas who can supply at the best price? No...I don't think there is any local supplier for lg. qty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy bamboo trellis stakes (affordably)?

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 19:25

I cut my on.
You should check country roads or ask farmer do they need they bamboo cut back.
You trade labor for stakes, I have some 1 1/2 dia. X 12 -18 feet long. that is two or three 6 feet stakes.
I use a sawzaw with the 4 or 6 in 14 teeth blade, bring an spare battery.
Big lots have a few now & then but they are not 6 feet.

o

jimigunna, I think the math works out to about 75 cents per stake and not 14 cents. Maybe I missed something.

o

Purchase a running bamboo if you have time.
Also, if your heart is not absolutely set on bamboo, rebar leftover from construction sites is often reasonable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here