Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would love to see.....

Posted by mrs_tlc 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 8, 10 at 14:01

photos of your vertical gardens. I am new, not only to gardening but to vertical gardening. I have three raised beds but have decided to try to trellis the cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, spaghetti squash and butternut squash. Does vertical growing also help keep worms and other pests away??

I am using vertical bamboo poles about 1 1/2" in diameter and the same for cross poles and maybe zig zag either twine or fishing line between the rungs. Does this sound like it will work well??

Would love to see pictures of what you all have done.

TIA!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would love to see.....

Here's a before pic of the trellis I built last season from plans that I found on diynetwork.com (from the late, lamented Fresh From the Garden). I substituted cattle panel for string because I can never do anything simply (or cheaply--it's my curse). I'm building another one this year but I'll bolt it to the outside of the raised bed so it's easier to move around. DIY has some very good info for all types of vertical supports.

DSC00068

Later in the season.

DSC00117

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Trellis

o

@sparks5478: Wow! Not to hijack the thread, but that one is beautiful! How tall is it?

o

That really is a beautiful trellis Sparks! Thank you for the link too! Is is running N/S?

o

Sparks, that's beautiful. Mind if I steel that design?

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 16:56

Nice job, sparks, very inspirational.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here