Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have a vertical garden from wooden pallets?

Posted by TrpnBils 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 20:07

I'm looking at options for expanding my garden in somewhat limited space this year and this caught my eye today. Has anyone here done this? I did a search but didn't come up with much. I know it can only work for shallow-rooted vegetables, so I'm wondering if I make, say, a "bean wall" or something. If I can make this work, I'd kind of like to line the north end of my garden with this type of thing partly as a way to extend my square footage and partly as a barrier (I struggled with deer at the end of the season this year).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have a vertical garden from wooden pallets?

I'm planning on doing some vertical pallet planters for my strawberries. I have yet to see anyone online post a long term review showing success/failures. I'll keep searching and update if I come across something.

o

http://kibbutzlotan.com/blog/2013/08/12/do-it-yourself-vertical-pallet-gardens/

o

http://gardenfuzzgarden.com/2014/03/28/vertical-gardening/

pinterest has a number of ideas for pallet gardening...a lot of herbs...vines (tomatoes, gourds, cukes). Leafy greens....

o

The challenge of a vertical garden is water distribution. Since water goes to the bottom, the top tends to dry out faster than the plants down below. I planted a pallet last year using annuals for color. Now that they're dead, I'm replacing them with succulents.
I've seen lettuce and herbs grown in vertical pallets, but I think it would be hard to do with larger plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pallet Garden

o

I agree with lgteacher. Pallet gardens are great for certain things, but I wouldn't recommend trying it with anything large. They look really neat once the plants fill in all the pallet space though.

I just read an interesting article that might help you out with this -- it discusses some space-saving gardening options, including pallet gardens, and offers a "how-to" for them as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pallet Garden and Vertical Garden info

o

It is heavier than most other vertical garden ideas so just be sure to support it correctly.

You could also try vertical gardening with old water bottles or 1 Liter or 2 Liter bottles.

If you stick a pvc pipe, drilled with holes, or even a section of old soaker hose, through your pallet, that might solve some of the water concerns. At least, that is how some other vertical pots handle water issue.

o

Stapled weed fabric and burlap to a pallet. I used chicken wire on the back to hold the weight. Should have put strips of wood to help because I did have some blow out on back. I have it flat because I am waiting for the onions to take before I tilt it.

o

Maybe you could clip the green onions just above the white sections so that there is a little bit of green left, eat the greens, and then let the onions grow new leaves :-)

That will also help the onion adjust to being transplanted. Or at least, that's my theory whenever I transplant and clip them!

o

OMG we made one and it was so heavy and dangerous! When you have small children - really these gardens need to be fixed to the wall

have noticed quite a few free pallets being given away on vertical garden online

o

We have one now with marigolds, oregano, strawberries, basil, and dill growing in it. Instead of filling in the entire thing with dirt we used landscape fabric which we stapled around the slats. This way we're only filling in a 4" deep trough of dirt as wide as the pallets for each new level. Works well so far and helps with water dristribution. WAY lighter too than filling it in. Even full it's totally portable for one person.

o

TrpnBils,

that's the route I went. I made two pallet planters to conceal my compost bin. I then filled the top row with petunias, the middle row with begonias, and the bottom row with some sedum that I relocated. I'm hoping that the sedum and petunias will cascade down to help conceal the bin. I think they came out well, though I did use two different size pallets and in hindsight I should have picked up two of the same... though they were free. If I have success this year I will definitely do more next year and look into doing more herbs and the like, as well as making them a bit more polished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vertical Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here