Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrin_gw

Mandevilla vines

garrin
14 years ago

In Spring 2009 I purchased this Mandevilla vine at the local grocery store here in north Jersey. I usually have little luck with plants but I thought this would do well potted in a corner of my porch. Within days it started growing and overgrew it's trellis so I just added another larger trellis.... well, it overgrew that too and attached to the railings and has grown up and even attached itself to anything in its path. It flowers constantly and it's looked great on my porch all summer. Now that the cooler weather is approaching I'm looking for advise on how to treat it in the winter months. I've read enough on the forum to know I have to bring it in for the winter, but am I just just supposed to cut off all of its vines and cut it back to the woodier roots or should I try de-vining it from the porch and bring it in?? And what's all the chatter about treating in for bugs and mites?

I've read a few other posters saying that because they're so inexpensive they just toss them and buy new in the Spring.... I'd rather save it if possible.

I know this is a common thread on the site, but because I know nothing about winterizing plants I thought I'd start a new one to hopefully get some beginners advise from the pros here that have posted such great pics of their Mandevillas.

Thanks!

Image link:

Comments (4)