Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandevilla vines

Posted by garrin NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 15:49

In Spring 2009 I purchased this Mandevilla vine at the local grocery store here in north Jersey. I usually have little luck with plants but I thought this would do well potted in a corner of my porch. Within days it started growing and overgrew it's trellis so I just added another larger trellis.... well, it overgrew that too and attached to the railings and has grown up and even attached itself to anything in its path. It flowers constantly and it's looked great on my porch all summer. Now that the cooler weather is approaching I'm looking for advise on how to treat it in the winter months. I've read enough on the forum to know I have to bring it in for the winter, but am I just just supposed to cut off all of its vines and cut it back to the woodier roots or should I try de-vining it from the porch and bring it in?? And what's all the chatter about treating in for bugs and mites?
I've read a few other posters saying that because they're so inexpensive they just toss them and buy new in the Spring.... I'd rather save it if possible.
I know this is a common thread on the site, but because I know nothing about winterizing plants I thought I'd start a new one to hopefully get some beginners advise from the pros here that have posted such great pics of their Mandevillas.
Thanks!

Image link: Mandevilla vines (39 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandevilla vines

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 12:17

I'd like to learn too, I have a Mandevilla vine that would be great to see flower again next year!

No-ID Mandevilla vine red

o

I have been trying to overwinter Mandevilla Vines for the past 2 years,The Vines did survive (barely) but I thought they would pick up during the Summer. Unfortunately the Vines are ready to be composted after putting on very little new growth and no sign of any blooms.
I have read that Mandevillas do not overwinter well, and I think I have proven that point to myself.

o

They do well in the greenhouse over winter (kept at around 55), so I would think a bright sunny window would be sufficient. I let them dry out a bit between waterings.
Photobucket Photobucket

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 22:36

I've never tried to grow a mandevilla but saw one at DH's cousin last weekend in Pa. that was so beautiful. Her neighbor overwinters hers in the garage, so I'm assuming she must have it in a large pot. Didn't have a chance to inquire more because we were expected at a family reunion in a short time. The neighbor's was quite large and from where I was standing in cousin's driveway, it looked about 5 or 5 ft. tall and very wide spread. Will ask DH's cousin some more questions, if she overwinters hers and what care she gives it. I wonder if one planted a mandevilla vine in a oblong flower box that could be wheeled in, it that would be large enough for mandevilla's root system. Anybody know anything about this plant/or vine's root system?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here