Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Pergola Vines? (So. California - zones 10 & 23)

Posted by sandiego.gardner CA: 23 & 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 18, 12 at 0:19

I've got a new pergola. This photo taken near Southwest corner, looking Northeast. Sun from mid-morning until about two hours before sunset.

East posts are in concrete. West posts are on a pedastal with two foot square hole around. This hole has soil to plant and water vines.

A friend suggests jasmine. I'm pretty sure I want evergreen and fragrance, but I don't want to spend my time sweeping up leaves/blossoms.

I saw some mandevilla that looked good. Would that work?

Which specific vines should be on my look list?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Pergola Vines? (So. California - zones 10 & 23)

Sandeigo,
Mandevilla is beautiful, but you don't want to spend your time sweeping up leaves and blossoms. Boy do they shed leaves and blossoms! And they are extremely thorny!
Jasmine is a good choice.
There are numerous varieties of jasmines that are evergreen and will flower and bloom for you.
Then there is Passiflora, which can really take off for you because they grow fast, and the flowers are incredible! (that is what I have on an arbor).
CHeck out Brushwood Nursery online.
They have sooo many different kinds of vines for you to check out to see what you like.
By the way, I love your pergola!

o

I would look to the perennial varieties of morning glories, the Merremias. There are several different species of Merremia. Their leaves resemble those of marijuana, but you and I know they're not.lol. Beautiful yellow blooms on these. They would love your frost free zone.

o

Thanks for the info. I took my photos and my possibilities list to a local nursery. With the assistance of a very knowledgeble employee/helper, I selected Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jasmine) and planted one in each of the two corners.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here