Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria 'Blue Moon' ... bud hardy to -40 ?

Posted by markrjc z3 ONT (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 06 at 0:59

Okay, I've read the claims that this one is EXTREMELY bud HARDY and reliably flowers in zone 3 after experiencing severe temperatures as low as -40. I'd like to hear from those in such a climate that have actually had their plant endure that numbing frigid cold temperature. Reports from warmer areas are of little help. Thanks!

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria 'Blue Moon' ... bud hardy to -40 ?

Hello Mark, well here it is 10 months later and still no one has stepped up to the plate here ! LOL I am a Clematis lover and have several of them. Nellie Moser, Niobe, Presidente, Red Cardinal, and a few others. My DH and I have bought property up in Northern B.C. zone 3b, Yikes !!! So I guess I will have to find homes for them all before we move. Did you buy any chance get the info about "BlueMoon" or any other Clem that will thrive in this zone ??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Lynn

o
RE: Wisteria 'Blue Moon' ... bud hardy to -40 ?

I don't live in zone 3, but for what it's worth, I have grown the Blue Moon wisteria for 3 years now in zone 4 and can't say enough good about it. Since it flowers from new wood, there are no flower buds during the winter to be killed by frigid temperatures. If the vine lives, it will flower, and flower early. I have tried growing the chinese varieties, which die back, but Blue Moon has had no die back of even the smallest vines. Here are some pictures of my 3-year old vines in bloom over a trellis bench:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here