Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink & Purple Moon Vine Fragrant?

Posted by squirrelspur z7a NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 5:39

Have you found the pink or purple moon vine to be at all fragrant? Does it like the same growing conditions as the fragrant white moon vine?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink & Purple Moon Vine Fragrant?

Hi squirrelspur - The pink and lavender moonvines are not fragrant like the Ipomoea alba,but perhaps through selection a strongly scented and/or truly fragrant variety could be produced...

Ipomoea turbinata usually produces soft spines along the stems and has flat leaves and smooth dark seeds
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/48191/

Ipomoea macrorhiza has flowers that are often scalloped and ruffled, 'pleated' leaves and fuzzy seeds
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65128/

The flowers are large and showy...this species produces a large perennial root that can be overwintered indoors or sometimes outdoors with a heavy mulch where the temperatures do not remain below freezing for very prolonged periods of time...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea macrorhiza moonvine

o
RE: Pink & Purple Moon Vine Fragrant?Ipomoea albivenia is Fragran

Ipomoea albivenia is known to be fragrant and produces a perennial caudex but may not bloom until the 2nd year...

The blooms are white or cream with a pink or yellow throat and lower tube...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea albivenia perennial caudex forming fragrant moonvine

o

Thanks Ron!

Now for another ? - do you know of any U.S. sources for the seed esp. the ipomoea albivenia? I found a couple sources for the Ipomoea turbinata. I do see them listed at B&T World Seeds - have you had dealings with them?

Karen squirrelspur

o

Hi Karen squirrelspur,

B&T has a very large selection and I usually order from them at least once a year...the problem that I've encountered with B&T is that they often take a very long time to fill orders and can 'inadvertently' send the wrong species...
so,if you really know what the seeds of each species are suppossed to look like then any incorrect species sent can be addressed asap,but if you are not familiar with the detailed characteristics of various Morning Glory species you might get the wrong species and not know it...

There are presently no sources for Ipomoea albivenia seeds in the US that I know of...although I have seen plants offered on ebay...

TTY,...

Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here