Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandevilla question

Posted by october17 5chgo (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 8:38

I have purchased mandevillas every summer for the last several years. I overwintered one and it survived pretty well. That is, til I repotted it.

The vines seem to do much much better if I do not repot them. If I buy one and then repot it, it is stunted for the whole summer. Do these vines like to be root bound or do they just not like to be disturbed?

I'm overwintering one this year that I did not repot. I'm wondering if I should leave it in the same pot or if I will have to transplant. Has anyone just dig out some dirt from the top and replace with fresh and be successful?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandevilla question

Mandevillas do like to be pot-bound. Half of the potting soil needs to be removed and new soil added. In April or May, start fertilizing weekly - they don't like to be soggy, either. You should cut it back to about a foot and treat it for spider mites. You should see new growth in March or April. You can move it outdoors in full sun in May.

o
RE: Mandevilla question

You can do as kavjones suggest or simply repot it one or two size larger. This way you don't disturb the roots at all. I have a Madevilla that is over 20 years old which I bought from a mail order company. What I received looked like a stick in a small pot. But I gave it 2 years in that pot until it was big enough to go to a larger size pot (1 size up). I did that every two years and it's now in a huge pot the size that holds a tree. It's just in time to make the move with me to Florida where I plan to permanently plant it against a trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here