Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hop vines

Posted by valree3 Nv zone 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 9:53

I'm thinking of planting hop vines in my yard and was wondering if deer like them? Any info would be great! Thanks, Valree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hop vines

I'm thinking they would leave them alone. My observation around here where there is a huge population of Whitetails, is they tend to ignore fuzzy, resinny, strongly scented plants(most herbs are safe...lavender, sage, basil, etc). I've also seen wild hops vines with mature cones right next to a deer thoroughfare.HTH

o

I was thinking the same, to fuzzy and smells. I haven't had much experience with hops and wild hops doesn't grow in my area. Thanks and now I'm going to go order some for this spring!

o

I don't have much experience with them either, but according to what I've read, the wild hops around here are basically escapees from old farms, so not really 'wild', but unidentified. I did dig some up for my son last spring though, and kept them in pots for a few months until he picked them up.
In any case, keep your young plants protected for a while as the deer might try some of the newer tender leaves, and let us know how it goes...

o

I have lots of deer and they leave the hops alone for the most part, the hops are too scratchy for them. You'll love your hops, have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here