Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria Trim ???

Posted by japus 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 10:51

I am thinking I made a big mistake last year when I trimmed my 4 wisteria vines.
I lopped off the main stem, which now I know I shouldn't have done.
I now understand how to trim a wisteria, however the question I have is...
(((.Once the main stem is cut off..will the last bud on that main stem take over as it's main stem ?)))
I have read a wisteria vine is hardy and hope that's the case here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria Trim ???

Do you have a pic? How old are they?

o

What kind of wisteria is it - Chinese, Japanese, or American? If it is Chinese or Japanese, was it a grafted plant and, if so, did you cut it off below the graft union? (That's not a good thing to do as what will grow back is from the rootstock which is usually an inferior plant grown from seed and is often a Japanese wisteria, even if the purchased plant was a Chinese one...)

Personally, I think much of the pruning advice for wisterias is unnecessarily complicated! I cut all new whippy growth back into the desired framework once it gets to be 2-3' or so long. I grow both the Chinese and Japanese wisterias to be 'trees' which allows them to be grown as free-standing (except for metal support poles on either side of the trunk) and makes them easier to control. Both bloomed in their 5th year in the garden and the Chinese one started producing the secondary summer flush of flowers in its second year. After cutting new growth back, a flower forms near the pruning site a week or so later! Prune, prune, prune seems to be the rule to get a dense, vigorous plant. I wouldn't grow one on a tall arbour or pergola because it would be too hard to prune it up there!

I love my wisterias and am already looking forward to their spring bloom. Watching the progress of their buds into flower is a measure of the days of spring here :-)

o

I only grow the American Wisteria (Wisteria frutescens), and I don't think you can hurt it by pruning. It may not be the right time to prune, and you may lose a year's flowers by pruning now, but it is unlikely to die.

o

This is all Chinese Wisteria, purchased 4-5 years ago from a local Lowes store.
Your looking at the growth before I trimmed it back.
Regarding pruning, I have read in my zone 5. winter pruning in Dec, then summer pruning after flowers...
These were planted from a commercial flower pot
I love these wisteria plants, along with all that I see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here