Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advise Please

Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 10:54

I purchased four sections of these for my front porch this pass fall and got them up. These were my Christmas present to my self for the next 5 years, hehehe.They were a bit expensive, but they do look good on the front porch. here is what I purchased. http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/coventrythreepaneltrellis.cfm Anyway come spring I will be planting something to grow on these for a little shade purpose. I have 25 plus clematis but I don't plan on putting clematis in this location due to the med summer browning that all Clematis seem to go through and I was thinking maybe Mandaville's or maybe Cypress Vine. The area would be on each side of my front walkway steps in from of the front porch, I do have gutters so the run off from the roof will not be a problem. My main problem will be the hot afternoon sun, no shade after 1:30 p.m., porch faces south west and it's faily HOT. I thought of the passion flower vine but after reading up on it I don't think that's what I need. I have several Sweet Autumn Clematis that bloom really late but I realy don't want that heavy of a vine up front of the house..Last year I made shade curtains that ran along the front on a wire that could be closed during the hot afternoon and they looked pretty good, but wasn't what I really wanted and wasn't much of an enjoyment so I purchased the trellis's. Any advise on what would handle the heat and no shade would be a great help..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advise Please

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 16:43

I have not grown Clematis before, but look forward to reading the comments.

Does Clematis need cool roots to be happy or is the effect of heat on the leaves instead?

o

• Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 16:54

Clematis do perfer cool roots, All clematis do brown out med summer/ in the heat. The leave's can handle quite a bit of heat, but there is always the exception. I found out this pass summer that some of my best heat loving Clematis did burn out on the south side of my house, no shade and 114 degress, I had to put an umbrella over them just to help save them.

o

Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 12:36

You could try planting annual vine such as a flashy Japanese morning glory (JMG). JMG will wilt somewhat in the heat of the day, however, the leaves will recover later in the afternoon. Click on the link below for photos of the JMGs I grew a couple years ago.

That's a pretty trellis. It must have been fun installing it. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gerris2's JMG photos from 2007-2009

o

Joseph, is that the REAL color of that red MG in the photo? :) Arum

o

Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 19:54

The color in each photo is accurate. I don't photoshop.

o

Well, I am not familiar with that term, but how possible would it be to attain some of those seeds? :)

o

Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 8:38

Maybe 90% of the MGs I showed in photos I obtained through eBay purchases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here