Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria - does it play 'nice' with a trumpet plant??

Posted by pam225 SE Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 1, 10 at 11:57

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It's January 1 in Havertown, PA and I'm already researching for my garden this year! hahaha!

I love Wisteria....love the smell, love the look, love how it will bloom 3x over the season, love how it will climb on my pergola (that my hubby needs to build this year!). I realize it can be invasive and it' a fast grower.

However, I also really like the trumpet plant - not sure if that's it's real name, or what variety it is that I like, but my friend has one (so it grows around here), it comes back every year, it' a vine, the flowers are a salmon color, and it beautiful! (and...I will get a free offhoot from her).

I would like to know if I plant the wisteria on one side of the pergola and the trumpet plant about 10 feet down on the same side of the pergola (so both can grow up and over the top), will they "play nice" or will one kill the other. Between the amazing scent of the wisteria and the trumpet plant attracting the hummingbird that lived in my yard last year (and loved my birdhouse gourd plant!) I think it will look nice over my deck.

Thought? I'm open to suggestions. (BTW...my hubby also suggeted a hop plant - not only does he want to brew his own, but the plant apparently look amazing as it climb...)

Thanks, and Happy New Year!!

Pam
Havertown, Pa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria - does it play 'nice' with a trumpet plant??

I have Amethyst Falls wisteria and Campsis radicans (Trumpet Vine) growing together in some areas. They do fine together but if you are talking about a Campsis radicans you might want to think twice before planting it. It's one of the most invasive plants I've ever dealt with. I spent almost 10 years trying to kill it before giving up. Now I just try to keep it contained. It is beautiful in bloom and hummers and insects love it. The Amethyst Falls wisteria isn't as aggressive as the Oriental varieties. I'd think that either of the vines would take over a pergola in a very short time.

o

Pam,
Plant a wisteria. Even the chinese kind, which is extremely fragrant and grows like a weed, is much better to have than a trumpet vine.
If the wisteria gets out of hand, just cut it down, all the way down in the spring, it will cover your arbor or pergola in one season. (it's like a snake, freaky)
If you plant the wrong kind of trumpet vine, you will always have it because it has invasive roots that travel underground like bamboo.
Personally, my vote is for the wisteria. Can't beat it!
I have the chinese kind, it fills the yard with tremendous fragrance and if you keep cuttine it, it will keep blooming.
If you buy one this spring, make sure it is blooming when you buy it. VERY important.

o

Pam why [make sure it is blooming when you buy it. VERY important]? PLEASE ELABORATE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here