Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Care and Feeding of an Aristolochia grandiflora

Posted by bookwyrme S CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 12:01

About 2 years ago, I got an Aristolochia grandiflora in as an "extra" in a garden order. It survived in a smallish pot for about a year before being transplanted into a big pot at the side of a house where it made me very happy by taking off.

Two difficulties, though: In the year it grew there, I only got one flower. I would really, really like to have more.

The second is that something, either the really, really dry Santa-Ana weather + ash & gunk in the air, or a cold snap, turned all the leaves black. I ended up cutting it back severely, which may not have been the best move though it now has several promising-looking leaf buds.

So, now I'm wondering 1) How can I get more flowers? and 2) *Was* cutting it back the right move? Or, should this happen again, should I let the leaves all fall off & the vine skeleton remain? 3) Is it possible to keep the leaves from all blackening? 4) Anything else I should know? It is a really neat plant & I'd like to take the best care possible of it, and there's not a lot online or in books.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Care and Feeding of an Aristolochia grandiflora

I don't know if the care for the A. grandiflora is the same as for the A. fimbriata or A. ringens. Mine are container grown because I'm in zone 7 but I keep them in full morning sun/partial afternoon sun. I give them a balanced fertilizer and kelp extract every couple weeks during the growing season. I'll also give them a foliar feeding every few weeks. I cut them back in the fall and keep them semi dormant in an unheated greenhouse that remains above freezing over the winter. In the spring I start feeding and watering them. I also give them a few doses of ST the first few weeks of the growing season. They are covered with blooms from late June until I cut them back for the winter. The cold will turn the foliage black. Cutting the damaged growth was the right thing to do. It should be replaced with healthy foliage soon. They really are cool looking flowers. I planted them hoping to attract butterflies. No butterflies but I love the plants anyway.
Karyn

o

I would guess the cold caused the leaves to blacken, They will do that if it gets too cold.

I have found A grandiflora easy to flower. You will have better luck if you put it in the ground. It will grow much better and will also flower more profusely. Put it in the ground with as much sun as possible. With a strong trellis and ample water I think you will have plenty of flowers come summer.

o

Ah, maybe it's more water it needs in the summer time. I'm never sure how much to give it.

I wish I could put it in the ground, but I've two passion vines, one has a lock on the front yard & one on the back. Literally--the backyard one can send runners up under the cement so that they come up clear across the yard; it's very impressive, but makes it likely that no other vine could find root space.

o

Is this plant / scent from the flower poisonous to human?
I'm wondering where to plant it at my garden. Please advise... Some other source said that the scent is poisonous.... :(

o

The scent is not pleasant but it's certainly not poisonous. Parts of the plant are toxic if ingested. Plant it wherever you like, just don't eat it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here