Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine's suggestions to plant with/under Yew tree's?

Posted by Kate1970 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 13, 12 at 12:06

Hello All,
I am new to zone 7a (Northern Virginia) as well as new to vines. We have just moved into our first home which is beautiful on the inside but the landscaping (I'm being kind when I call it landscaping) was terribly neglected. We have Yew trees on one side of us that have to be at least 75-100 feet tall which at first we considered trimming.

After living here for the last 6 months and dealing with my next door neighbors, I am so very thankful we decided to keep the Yew's as a large privacy screen. The tops of the yews have grown in and filled in nicely but the lower 4-6 feet are still pretty see through and would like to be able to sit in my yard in peace. Without going into dramatics lets just say we've called the police several times and each time they've rattled off my neighbors house number before I even say it! Because we are doing so many renovations a new privacy fence is definitely on the list but not in the budget for this current year.

Is there such a vine that would fill in the lower half of the Yews without strangulating it? We would be twining it through a 4 foot chain link fence. From research woodsy vines seem to do a lot of damage to chain link so I'm looking for a nice non wood perennial.

Help!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine's suggestions to plant with/under Yew tree's?

hmmm, clematis would grow up a fence, and its not woody. they are expensive though and you would need quite a few.

is there a fair amount if sun under the trees?

if you find a perennial vine you like it might take a few years to fill in the fence. you could plant along a quick growing annual vine with them the first year to cover the gaps while the perennial vine grows.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 19:57

The coral,scarlet,mailbox Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) is a woody wood vine that will not get very big diameter & will not hurt your fence,IMO. I have seeds, if you Google it & want to try it, I can send you some seeds.

o

mainblaine thank you for your suggestions! I like the idea of a fast growing annual. That's a great idea. I love clematis but as a newbie I have no experience with them. My MIL has some Confederate Jasmine for me but it will be late in the summer before she will visit again.

Jolj, You are so very kind for offering me seeds! I was researching Honeysuckles last night and was looking at Major Wheeler which looked like it might eat my house! lol I will google coral scarlet for sure. Its so very kind of you both to help a newbie out. I'd be happy to pay you for the seeds and appreciate the advice!

There might be hope for the mudpit yet. (the mudpit is my not so affectionate nickname for the yard) I'll post some photos of the Yew's tomorrow to better show you what I have to work with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here