Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate1970_gw

Vine's suggestions to plant with/under Yew tree's?

Kate1970
12 years ago

Hello All,

I am new to zone 7a (Northern Virginia) as well as new to vines. We have just moved into our first home which is beautiful on the inside but the landscaping (I'm being kind when I call it landscaping) was terribly neglected. We have Yew trees on one side of us that have to be at least 75-100 feet tall which at first we considered trimming.

After living here for the last 6 months and dealing with my next door neighbors, I am so very thankful we decided to keep the Yew's as a large privacy screen. The tops of the yews have grown in and filled in nicely but the lower 4-6 feet are still pretty see through and would like to be able to sit in my yard in peace. Without going into dramatics lets just say we've called the police several times and each time they've rattled off my neighbors house number before I even say it! Because we are doing so many renovations a new privacy fence is definitely on the list but not in the budget for this current year.

Is there such a vine that would fill in the lower half of the Yews without strangulating it? We would be twining it through a 4 foot chain link fence. From research woodsy vines seem to do a lot of damage to chain link so I'm looking for a nice non wood perennial.

Help!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists