Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing vines on lattice

Posted by dirtaddshp zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 13:43

Hello,

I have a 25' long area by about 15' tall where im planning on putting up a lattice. I have about 5 different kinds of vines i would like to grow on the lattice which will be 4' wide pieces all formed together across the 20'. Will the vines grow well together? im planning on spacing them out about 5' apart.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing vines on lattice

It depends on which vines you have. It could cause a problem if they intertwine and then need different care or pruning. And they would all need to be of equal vigour so one didn't drown out another. Imagine trying to untangle the dead vines of one which dies to the ground each winter from another which might be evergreen and permanent. Some vines will behave well together, others will fight. More specifics needed to know which situation you might have.

o

When I've mixed vines before, they didn't look that good. The overall effect was messy and weedy-looking.

I think that different colors of the same type vine might look nice mixed together, though.

o

I've tried mixing vines on a trellis several times and this is the only combination I've ever been happy with. Usually one will completely overwhelm the other, or one will be dormant and look ratty while the other is trying to bloom. These vines are a red crossvine and a yellow honeysuckle. The cross vine blooms in the spring with a few blooms in the fall. The honeysuckle will usually start blooming while the crossvine is in full bloom, then continue to bloom all summer. They are both evergreen, so I don't have to deal with one going dormant while the other is still blooming.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here