Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does wisteria flower on new growth or old wood?

Posted by patrick_nh z4/5 NH (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 06 at 13:46

Not sure which species or variety, probably the 'common' everyday (Chinese?) wisteria. It's in tree form.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does wisteria flower on new growth or old wood?

Old.

o

• Posted by njoynit Z8b Coastal ~seclude (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 8:40

you trim your wisteria twice a year.to control it& direct it.(and it helps it flower better.)Being yours is tree form.you got your main lead comeing up or you may have more than one all together.may have support or may not.(you didn't say...or how old it is)you have side shoots that come off the main lead stems. when you cut them back you want to be sure are at LEAST 6 nodes/spurs/bud thinggys.are left.

My neighbor has a tree form one.she's not shaped it for awhile.Her mom has one growing all down her fenceline& another has a dog run and has covered it with the wisteria.mines being trained up in apple tree.they bloom together.

o

They form thier buds late winter or very early spring, so old wood. A sever winter can kill the flower buds. I trim mine (where I can reach them) just to keep them tidy and get rid of the long strangly bits. Then in fall I try to cut off all the seed pods so they won't sprout. I can't reach them all though, and about November it sounds like kids having a cap gun shoot out, but it is the pods exploding. First time I heard it, it really startled me!

o

Not meaning to hijack the post, but will the vine kill trees if it grows up them?

o

Yes, it eventually "chokes" the tree. It is suggested to never grow wisteria on a living tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here