Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting back honeysuckle

Posted by alys Zone 5-6 - MO (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 13:51

I have a trellis, about 12 feet long and 8 feet high, that screens my patio from a neighbor. It gets shade on the lawn side and sun on the patio side. I planted four red honeysuckle about five years ago on the shady side, hoping to have a nice thick screen of flowers. Instead, the vines grew literally straight up the screen - really straight, two or three vines weaving in and out of the trellis with no branches at all - and then over the top, so that it is only branched up at the top. I really should have cut it back the first year, when I realized it wasn't going to branch, but I didn't. I'm wondering, if I cut it back now will it branch? Or will I just kill it? If I can cut it, when do I do it? How far back can I cut it? Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting back honeysuckle

Honeysuckle blooms on last year's wood, so don't prune it until this year's bloom cycle is done. Here's a link to tell you how and when:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5095740_prune-honeysuckle-bush.html

Here is a link that might be useful: How to prune Honeysuckle

o

• Posted by alys Zone 5-6 - MO (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 15:24

Thank you for the response. I don't see anything that says I can prune back as far as I really want to...so I may end up just buying new plants and starting over. I really hate how it looks now, just bare vines up to the top. I guess I'll live with it this year, since I read to prune no later than mid-July. Maybe I should just find a vine that doesn't get that tall to fill in? Thanks again!

o

Your honeysuckle will be seeking the light. Since the lawn side is shady it will inevitably go up and search for the sun.

However, I can't see any advantage in buying and planting new plants when you could just cut down the current plants which are already well established. They will grow away again much faster than new plants. Then, as they start to throw out new shoots train them through the trellis to the sunny (patio) side and then horizontally back and forth across the patio side of the fence rather than letting them go up without check.

No honeysuckle will give you 'a nice thick screen of flowers.' You will get a screen of foliage with flowers in it. So even if you lose this season's flowers you will still have a green screen. Planting anew will not achieve this.

o

Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 21:49

Oh thank you Flora, that will do nicely. So I can just cut them way back? That would be great. I'll wait until the late summer this year and see how it goes.

o

If you can kill honeysuckle, you are a smarter person the most of us! LOL This is one TOUGH plant!

o

Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 9:56

Excellent! Just what I'd hoped to hear. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here